Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chickens

Chickens

Consider ducks. Anconas produce for years, chickens produce for a very short time.
    Ducks are more aware of predators than chickens.
    Ducks lay on a 24 hr. cycle.... usually between 04:00 - 08:00.
    Chickens lay on a 25 hr. cycle.
    Free range Anconas provide long-chain omega 3 fatty acids. Chicken eggs should have a phytosterol precursor.

The neighbors must not like their chickens crowing early in the morning, so they put the chickens over closer to my property.
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

G'pa,

I had thought about ducks, but I live out here where water is a very scarce element and don't have splashes of it sitting around for them to play in. Ya, I know that you don't need to have water to have ducks. But ducks without a puddle isn't logical........

Blondie

A small hobby farm near me keeps ducks. They too have no natural water, but have a small kiddie pool set up which seems to keep the ducks happy.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I have 2 layer chickens, I just lost one during a bad cold streak here. Last year I had ducks for eggs and I had a small plastic pond for them. Big mistake... as the eggs tasted like the pond water. I traded the ducks away for something better: ammo.

As for chickens, I prefer the old traditional heritage types (much like the veggies I grow)
    Last edited by Kola; 12-27-2013 at 06:34 AM.

I have heard rumors that duck eggs have twice the protein and half the cholesterol compared to a chicken egg. Not sure if its true or not.

Blog Entries
    Hey KOLA ---
    Did you wash them in the pond water. heehaw.

I never noticed that from some we raised for a few years... and had that same type of "pond".

Thoner7 ---

Thats about right.
    Mother Earth News has that breakdown they have a few times.
    MUCH better then store bought cage raised eggs
    and they taste much better also.

I know, I am an ostrich and really do not know what is going on in the rest of the world.....lol There is a new mobile chicken coop that is coming out of the land of Oz. It is a "Chicken Caravan." You can find the video ad on You Tube. They seem to come in several different sizes. I can't wait until they are imported here. Take a look, tell me what you think.

Blondie

Dear "grometluowe,"

For documentation of egg size please see Backyard Chickens Blog on American or French Bresse. The Bresse to be finished off properly start off free ranging and then the last month or so in a crate on milk and corn. This higher fat diet produces the tender, flavorful meat. Please see Greenfire Farms notes on the Bresse. If the Bresse were not to be harvested then as far as I am concerned they may be kept with the rest of the flock.

Blondie

Well, It is Jan 8. There are two ads on ebay for the white (American or French) Bresse. There is one ad for the slightly less meaty black Bresse. They are running about $20.00 per half dozen. You could get the eggs now and be gathering your own eggs by May or harvest in May as well. Without the story behind them, no one will look over your fence and see anything but a common white chicken. You neighbors will be less likely to mis-appropriate a rare chicken.

Blondie

that's a dang good price for fancy chickens. I'd love to get a few. Do they sell pullets?