Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY wind turbine

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Kola, I think you should write a book on your lifestyle, it would be a great read.
    To the OP, I was curious about using a car alternator to generate the power. It probably wouldn't have enough amps but a few together may, just change the pulley size for speed. Just a thought.
    NEVER use auto alternators to generate power. Quick and easy, yes. But very inefficient. You have to dump significant power to energize the coils.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    To the OP, I was curious about using a car alternator to generate the power. It probably wouldn't have enough amps but a few together may, just change the pulley size for speed. Just a thought.
    For wind or hydro, they simply do not work. It's because of the rpm's required to actually produce power is way higher than most wind/hydro systems can generate. Yes, you could 'gear up' but the conversion losses would be huge. On top of that, an auto alternator is already terribly inefficient to start with.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    The car alternators do work good as battery chargers,hooked up to a 5 or more HP motor ,they really come in handy when you have many vehicles with crappy batteries ,I have one in a small wagon,makes it EZ to move around and you can use it to charge your 12 V and 24 V (you can get a 24 V alt.) battery banks on days when there's not any sun for your solar. If you try and "gear them up " it does take a lot of HP to turn them with a 5 or 6 HP motor you can kill the motor by putting a big load on them. I have two one just uses the alt. internal regulator the other had a rheostat to control the out put,that one works best for a battery bank that can absorb as much amps as you can crank into it . they may not be the most efficient way of charging but parts are EZ to come by and inexpensive

If you want to DIY a wind turbine go to Www.otherpower.com.
    I Have built a few of their 17' dia turbines for friends in Arkansas . They work great and don't cost an arm and a leg to build.

I was speaking more in terms of bare-boned living. In this case, any power is good power, IMO. It may just be a temporary thing or just a small amount of power to run a few lights...or to keep you warm. Most folks have a car or truck and you can easily modify and tweak things to use it as an optional power source.

Kola, sign me up for the book if it ever appears.

I'm considering this: http://crispgreen.com/2012/02/tri-bl...urbine-design/

I like the idea of (starting to) generate power in 2.25 mph winds. Best of all, a wind system is totally free.
    After of course you pay for materials, and maintenance....

G'pa
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"