Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY wind turbine

DIY wind turbine

I thought this was pretty cool. Thoughts?

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...-wind-turbine/

How much is 1000 watts? I have no concept of how much power that is. Is that how much it makes per year or how much it makes while in use?

I hate electricity.

He he he! OK, picture 1000 watts as running ten 100 watt incadecent light bulbs. Most toasters, microwaves, hairdriers, and such run at around 1100 to 1500 watts.

"Watts" is a term used to describe the amount of power flowing 'in that instant'. But what we are billed for is power over time. (watts used over the course of an hour) Let's see if this example will make it easier to understand:

Lets say you left a 100 watt light bulb on for one hour. That would be 100 watt-hours.

Now lets say you only had it on for 30 minutes of that hour. That would be 50 watt-hours.

Now for windmills, you usually figure power generation in bigger blocks of time, like 'per day' or 'per month'. So another example:

Lets say for a 'per day' senerio, at 12am until 7am the wind didn't blow and you made no power. From 7am until 12pm the wind blew a steady amount whereas the windmill was generating 600 watts. Then from 12pm until 5pm the wind picked up to have the windmill producing 800 watts. The from 5pm until 9pm the wind slowed to have the windmill producing just 300 watts. Finally, from 9pm until midnight. No wind blew and again produced zero watts. So lets add it up:
    12am to 7am: 7hrs x 0w = 0 watt-hours.
    7am to 12pm: 5hrs x 600w = 3000 watt-hours.
    12pm to 5pm: 5hrs x 800w = 4000 watt-hours.
    5pm to 9pm: 4hrs x 300w = 1200 watt-hours.
    9pm to 11:59pm: 3hrs x 0w = 0 watt-hours
    Total: 8200 watt-hours 'per day'. And as a bonus, you can easily calculate average production rate by dividing the produced wattage by the hours of the time period, so 8200 watts / 24hrs = an average production rate of 341.7 watt-hours.

Oh one last thing. Commercially available wind turbines are almost always over-rated from realistic numbers they will produce. The given wattage is at maximum wind speed the turbine can function in. (which in the real world will very rarely occur) Further, power output is exponential, so if the windspeed is cut in half, it will only be producing one-eighth the power.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

1000 watts of solar energy falls on one m2 of area, in general. Commercial panels are about 20% efficient, so that is about 5 sq meters of solar, panels. Around 1000 bucks worth. Wind (more so than solar) is sporadic. I suspect that is peak output. You'd be lucky to get 150 continuous.

I am living on 350 watts of solar array, a FX 80 Outback controller, 2 six volt batterries hooked up for 12 volts, and a cheapy inverter . It gives me lights, runs my laptop, my satellite dish and a few other little gizmos. Of course here in CO we got lots of sun which helps. I rarely use my generator...mostly for power tools or when we get the rare few days of no sun and extreme low temps.

Once you start living on less you will easily see you need very little electric to live happily. Trust me on this.

Propane fridges IMO are the best way to go. YMMV.

We have pretty good winds here too.

Hey Rod? what your thoughts on this gizmo... is it hokey-pokey or what? You no likey?
    Last edited by Kola; 12-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Hey Rod? what your thoughts on this gizmo... is it hokey-pokey or what? You know likey?
    You mean the instructables link above? It describes a three-phase, linear flux, permanent magnet alternator. That's what I've built, as I believe it to be the best type of power generator for wind or hyro applications.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries
    The real beauty of the gizmo is what making it does for your attitude about living off the grid. Failures and successes on the workbench, and out by the creek in the middle of the night at 8 below zero, will put a person on the fast track toward learning what he/she is willing to sacrifice for watts. That Coleman lamp was a real Godsend once I got used to living by candle light. Same goes for that first homemade generator, first store bought generator, first Honda 600W generator, first solar panel, first microhydro, etc., etc., etc.

I think that handmade wind machine would be a killer project, but it would teach a person to improve the tinkering skills. Probably make a person really get into Home Power magazine also.

In the end, nothing is free. Kola is proving that for us all right now in every way possible.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHN-guy nails it. Doing things by yourself has it's finest rewards. If you start out bare-boned living every little new thing becomes a luxury. You start to get a new (and better) appreciation for the simple things. Gratitude took on a complete new definiton for me.

And yes freedom is not free. It's work. But it's GOOD work. There is good work, bad work.... and shit-work. lol.

disclaimer: My way of life is not for everyone but it's the only way for me. Some people are very happy and content with a 9-5 job and the stability that comes with a nice steady job. In some ways, I do envy them but there are no right or wrong lifestyles....and happiness is defined differently for each individual.

I am an extremist (so I have been told) in many ways and I am often a risk-taker and reckless. I don't like money and how it can change some people and how it might distract them from truly living. I like adventure, the Wilderness, in all of her glory and my "Call to the Wild" started when I was very young. It was slow process but looking back everything I did, all my experiences and all my lessons of learning have helped me succeed to where I am now. For me, there was no other way as my ideas about living simply were engraved pretty early on. Yeah, the first year or two was pretty rough and there were times I questioned what the hell I was doing...and why. But there was no real way out (I had nowhere else to go) so I plodded along and took each new obstacle one by one. And it got easier and with every new challenge I conquered it built my confidence. And it slowly turned into a torrid love affair...and there was no turning back. Ever.

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    Kola, I think you should write a book on your lifestyle, it would be a great read.
    To the OP, I was curious about using a car alternator to generate the power. It probably wouldn't have enough amps but a few together may, just change the pulley size for speed. Just a thought.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

I never seem to have time to write stuff. Plus I am lazy that way. Maybe when I get older (and wiser) I can reflect on things and have a better idea of what to write. I

Off-roaders often convert their vehicles to put out some heavy juice. You can soup-up power with big ambulance or cop-car alternators, wire in inverters, etc.

I have thought about using a older 2 cyl diesel engine (low rpm=less noise) or a little metro geo engine as a homemade generator. But I have a great old Honda EU that never quits....which I rarely use. I think the wind turbine would be nice to have along with my small solar package.

I'd like to heat my greenhouse so I can grow all year round and I have some pretty cool ideas. I like the idea of using PEX plumbing tubing and a solar water heater/collector. The only thing needing power would be a small pump. I'd run the PEX into the soil (about a foot deep) to keep the roots warm and then have the lines pop up at every corner in the greenhouse. In each corner I would have a heater core from an automobile to disperse heat to the outside air. A water/antifreeze mixture would keep it from freezing.

dcp_3146.jpg
    Last edited by Kola; 12-05-2013 at 07:45 PM.