Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when is next seeminar

when is next seeminar

i am new to this site and have missed the Las Vegas seminar recently. does anybody have an idea when the next one will be held? I have put in an offer for 8+ acres of land with enough white pine to build a log home. and plan on logging the site starting December.

LHBA Member
    I'm not seeing the next class listed. I'm sure it will be updated sometime soon, with a possible delay due to the disaster in the Phillippines. One of the instructors lives there, but was stateside teaching a class when it happened.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

missteps

Quote Originally Posted by jake7760 View Post
    i am new to this site and have missed the Las Vegas seminar recently. does anybody have an idea when the next one will be held? I have put in an offer for 8+ acres of land with enough white pine to build a log home. and plan on logging the site starting December.
    thanks plumb level. i have had a plan on paper to build a log home, but i am now putting it all on hold until i can attend the next seminar, as i don't want to have too many missteps. still plan on cutting down the timber this winter, if there are any missteps to avoid in this process, would appreciate the heads up.

Blog Entries
    Jake,

You might even want to wait to down the logs until after the class. Everything you see clearly now will change after the class. Even buying land before the class "might be" a mistake. I bought my land before the class. I love what I have but I would have probably made some different choices if I had gained the guidance in the class and from the "Member's Side" of this forum before I bought.

Either way, welcome aboard,
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    I would wait til class to cut if possible. But if you must get started, I would just limb your logs and get them off the ground. Don't cut or trim any to length, as you may change your mind on some things.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

I second that. If it's all possible to avoid cutting after class, I would wait. If you must cut leave your logs as long as they are with 8" tops. I hope they are not 8" butts. Rack them off the ground and peel them ASAP.

Never mind, take the class.

Blog Entries
    Jake, Yer gonna hate my advice. I say take the class and if you really want to get a head start on your Grandkid's log home, save up some extra cash and read everything you can about anything except log houses. Believe it or not, I can't imagine that you will really get a head start by logging before you attend class. I can imagine a radical change in your plans after class that might make you wish you'd left those trees standing a while longer.

Just the advice of a fat ole man who first took the class in 1981.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Patients will pay off. I've been waiting for almost 3 years now to get to the class due to work schedule. I've been doing a lot of land improvement and my logs are still growing in the mean time. They are almost 16" over the bark now and now I'll have to wait till next winter to cut provided I can get to a class in the next few months

Thanks guys, it is almost like a refuge here, where I'm coming to stay focused. Since I've made my decision to go the Skip Ellsworth way, all I've been hearing from friends and family is thas I'm to old , its a waste of logs, you can't build a house that way, etc.etc. this is my last gasp though ,as i'm pushing 60 and don't know what i'll have in the tank in another 4 -5 years so the sooner the better. Also have a concern up here in the Maine woods that it is best to log in the winter, as there is less sap in the trees and less chance for logs to get hung up on the underbrush. Me and my son and our families plan on building 2 log homes on the land. Have 30 + pines alone with an average thickness at the butt of 30'' and countless 16 -20 trees.