Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're IN. Vegas here we come!

We're IN. Vegas here we come!

Ladies, Gentlemen, and LHN,

My wife and I have always dreamed of having a cabin. Stumbled onto this forum while researching kits. I am a skeptic by nature, but continued to read to be better informed about our different options. Several weeks later, my wife is now convinced (took me about a day and a half). Something about huge, chunky logs as walls and building something that you want to last forever that will ACTUALLY last forever is really appealing.

I've been tempted to start posting all of my questions. I've read through most of the public pages, and re-read certain posts. I'll refrain from asking a bunch of questions that I have and "JUST TAKE THE CLASS." I also decided to drag my wife along, that was a hard decision based on the cost, but I understand it is strongly recommended.

A square cabin makes a lot of sense. We'll buy the plans after class and will probably start over with our planning due to a different way of thinking. Although I'd like to be stacking logs in early spring/summer, my hunch is that after class I'll probably delay my plans a bit for better preparedness. Time will tell.

I get that I don't even fully understand how much time and work this process takes, but I really am looking forward to learning and being headed in the right direction for realizing our dreams.

Thanks to all for such a caring and dedicated community. Looking forward to future interactions.

Trevor

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard, Trevor and Trevor's Boss... Even if you did kinda stick me in the neutered class.

You'll not regret it.

No offense taken. Been done before.... Wife did it years ago.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Haha, thanks for the welcome sir. Also, thanks for your posts and especially your pictures. I've learned a great deal from you.

Trevor's SO FUNNY! we poke fun at Mr Nut quite often but he gives as good as he gets really good thing he takes it so good-naturedly
    glad you're bringing your wife. it will head off many an argument about process!
    welcome aboard

Enjoy the class!
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

I'm looking forward to the class. I've been looking around for others that are going to be taking the class. Am I the only one going to be there? Where's everybody at?

Also, it's not looking like there are too many people from Utah here. Does anybody know of anyone from Utah who has built or building using LHBA methods?

Next week at this time I'll be on my way to Vegas!

Hello TAB,

I am in SLC. Where are you from? I have LHBA contacts to refer you to: I have the best logger in the world, I have a LHBA Engineer. Depending on the area I may have a well master for you. Now, how may I help you? Where are you going to build!!!!!!! I would like to be a fly on the wall in class and watch mind get bent!

Blondie

Hey Blondie,

I'm in the Layton area and looking at the Uintah's (Manor Lands, Bear River Service area). Next week at this time I'll be sitting in class and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm stoked to hear that there is another. It seems like during all of the reading I've done lately there was atleast one more user that had Utah in their name. I've made some calls looking for logs, so I'd be interested to bounce what I've learned off what you know.

It's very preliminary, but my wife and I are eyeing a lot in Manor Lands that already has power, water, septic, and a foundation. The foundation is not square, and also made from cinder block so I'm loaded with questions for the class related to the foundation. Not sure if I can make that work or not due to weight bearing capabilities and size. Thanks very much for responding!

Trevor

My parents and brother live in Bountiful, Ut. Does that count?
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Hi Lightin'

I have been telling him tales about a cabin, foundation to roof in 9 days! I told him he could see the photos on the other side!

Blondie