Thread: Other syles than chinking?

Other syles than chinking?

Hello,

New to the forum and always been an aspiring wood worker. My wife and I are currently in escrow on a place in Big Bear, Ca that comes with a second lot. I'm thinking of staying in the current cabin and making plans to build something even nicer on the other lot. Your classes seem like a good way to learn.

Seeing the students houses I noticed there were exclusivly done with chinking. I know it is the more traditional way but I prefer the more modern style. Does the class teach one style exclusivly or both? If I took the class would it be helpful to build a notched and grooved style cabin?

Thanks.

The class only teaches the tight-pinned, butt & pass, chinked method. They discuss why they recommend against notched and coped methods.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Woodinville WA / still have a home in Anchorage Alaska
    Don't be fooled C-F,,,,,, Even the "Chink-less" method......has chinking. Just a Whole Lot more work in skribing and carving logs, to hide the chinking.
    The idea of the B&P method taught here, has much to do about ease, efficiency and ability for even a novice at wood-working / construction, to be able to build a log home on his/her own. Regardless what method you go with, the class still provides many great insights and mind-sets, that works with any style of log home or major project you might take on.
    Luck!

At first, I wanted the nice scribed look too. But the more and more I looked at the student built homes here, I learned to love the chinking look. But what it really came down to was - if I was going to build the cabin yourself, did I really want to be cutting a scribing each and every log? That is months of work right there. Building a house is enough work as it is, I didn't need to be doing that too.

If you really like the all-wood look, then use wood chinking. Its been done before and lasted hundreds of years.

Chris.felix, I was hesitant about the chinking look at first myself. Like Thoner7, it grew on me. Now I think it looks great. When I see log homes with the rotted out notched corners--as I very regularly do over here, I am confident that I made the right choice. Even with small logs, the chinking looks kinda cute. Here's my first cabin. You'd have a hard time making porches on a notched cabin with all the settling issues. Not a problem with B&P.