Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared of heights?

I wanted to post this for a while. I haven't started my build yet, but I wanted to address a major concern for those wondering about being afraid of heights, especially while stacking and pinning logs and the roof rafters.

In short: you'll get over it, slowly, while "building up" (meant both as literly and as a metaphor!). That's the great part of the LHBA method: you'll stack the logs slowly, going at your own pace, and it will become second nature.

I am unfortunate to be born with the holy $#&@ gene of being terrified of heights (I think it is a gene, right?). For those that can't understand what it is like, here is a way I describe it:

While peering over a ledge, no matter how sure footed, anchored, or even behind glass protection, there is this huge sinking feeling in your chest (I believe this your brain rushing blood into your vital organs to prepare for a fall). It is almost like a lot of pressure from huge stress. Then comes the need to grab tight and freeze - like no matter how hard you hold on, you are still slipping so you pull harder (until your fingers slip and u actually do fall).

I can contest to say that this fear can be overcome. I have forced myself into many challenges in life and have tamed it multiple times. The only problem is, it is still there. It has to be tamed for each experience.

An aunt and uncle of mine ran a $0.99 theatre. A single screen, that sometimes showed two movies in one night. When I was 17, they asked me if I would change the main sign out front every Thursday night.

This was about the scariest thing a person afraid of heights could be asked to do: climb up a rickety latter, 3 stories high, onto two 2x6s spaced 4" apart and spaced 8" from the sign (yes, you can fall between them). The wood was at least 20 years old and weathered. The sign was a big wind-catcher and swayed a few feet in either direction ad the wind blew. Oh, and the first night I did it, a storm was coming so even more wind! You would then need to reach up about 4 to 5 feet to remove the letters and spell out the new movie. Oh, and there is nothing to hold onto. Nothing but your footing. The sign was too flimsy to grip,and there was no railing.

I decided if I I could ever beat this fear, this was the time to do it.

The first 2 or 3 times was embarrassing. I tattled the latter, I laid down on the boards refusing to reach up to the top of the sign (I would just knock the letters off, and would spell out the movie while laying down on the boards, down low on the sign). Almost frozen solid a few times trying to get back onto the latter.

But then, something happened. Over the next few times, I was able to walk around on my knees, still gripping the 2x6s. By my 2nd month, I found the nerve to stand and move around and anchor things up and down.

By the 3rd month, I was a rock star. No fear what so ever and it became 2nd nature, even in the slippery rain.

Over the decades since (err, dating myself), I found similar challenges: roofing, painting, tv dishes, trimming trees, etc. Each of which was just as scary at first as that movie sign. But approaching each one slowly, things calm down and you are able to get over it.

That's why the LHBA method of stacking the logs, one by one, at your own pace is just about perfect for anyone afraid of heights. You'll move slowly as you go.
    Eric Duncan - LHBA Class: May 2012 - http://eduncan911.com

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

Blog Entries
    Older I get, the worser it gets for me. If I can pretend to be building a log home, anyone can. Just remember, you are building a family heirloom and there will be times when uncomfortable things have to get done and it has to be you. There will be other times when someone else just HAS to help.

When I was a kid I used to think my Mother was overdramatizing her debilitating fear of snakes. I think I finally have come to realize that perhaps it really was all in her head and hence very real for her.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Yes, I was going to say that as you get older, even some people who were not afraid of heights before will begin to get less confident. Eric is still a young whippersnapper so doesn't know this yet So get busy building, Eric, while you can still deal with heights

Take up rock climbing, you'll get over it.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

I'm trying, I'm trying! People want too much $$$ for NY land though. So the hunt continues to find a piece near my radius to work...

"A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned." - Shepherd Book, Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    Take up rock climbing, you'll get over it.
    Ha! Funny thing is since moving to NY, I've been mountain biking up in the Shawgunk Mountains. There is one trail about 15 miles in length (8 miles to the nearest road or habitat!) And part of that is on an 300 foot cliff. A rocky cliff that I usually park the bike and go hiking/climbing on for a few hours for "lunch" to sit dangling off of a big cliff. The first few times I couldn't get near the cliff. Now, photos are of me sitting on the ledge with legs dangling off of it (can't find one on phone to post). I find that spot extremely relaxing since it gets me away from the crowds on the trails.

SavedPicture.jpg

4000000800000019700b.jpg

The top of that waterfall is another lunch spot. Legs dangling. About 90'.
    Last edited by eduncan911; 09-22-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    35 years ago I spent some time exploring an abandoned Titan missile silo near Boise. My brother, Randy, walked right up to the edge of the open silo hole and looked down at the stolen cars and crap that folks had shoved down there. When I finally slithered like a worm up to the edge and stuck my nose over to take a peak, he kicked the bottom of my foot and that's all it took to freeze me. I got so weirded out that I hooked my fingers on the edge of the hole as he was finally dragging me back away from the hole.

Oddly enough, at that time I was working construction, putting up steel buildings. Mostly I was running equipment but occasionally I had to climb and bolt-up red iron, and set roofing panels, and I spent plenty of time 30 feet up. Something about being the best man/woman on the job forced my brain to let it happen (albeit slowly and with a lot of "hanging on"). I guess I'm no longer the best man/woman on the job. I could not do lunch with you on that clifftop, Ed.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eduncan911 View Post
    I'm trying, I'm trying! People want too much $$$ for NY land though. So the hunt continues to find a piece near my radius to work...
    I know you're trying, Eric-- just teasing you Been following your land search on the member's side and all the steep lot solutions-- not easy!

LHBA Member
    I have a moderate case. I used to be bad. I flew helicopters for a while and surprisingly that didn't bother me at all.

Mind over matter. I wish I could be there to hold the bottom of the ladder for ya.

Patrick

Blog Entries
    Yea, Ronnie has always been a little nervous since his brother pushed him off Miller's Bluff into the pond... I never did know why Auntie was so afraid of snakes. It didn't seem to stop Bo & Ronnie from telling me that she really liked them and bring home everyone I found.

I can still hear her screaming Bo!!!!!!!