Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log home maintance

Log home maintance

As a new member following this forum for a while now I have one question that I haven't come across any info on yet. How much ongoing maintance is there to one of these properly built houses. Sealing is one I keep getting warned about, any others? All the other questions that haven't been answered are ones that will be covered in the class I bet and I sure hope to be there.

I'm sure glad I found this site after hearing from some of the dissatisfied owners of kit houses.

Log home maintance

Get ready for a surprise, because if you build a home to Skip's specifications, there is practically no maintenance required!!!! The logs DO NOT get sealed using Skip style construction techniques. :shock:

So, why do the kit home manufactures seal their buildings? That, my friend, you'll learn in the class. :D

Log home maintance

Staining was optional and depended on if you want to continue with that maintenance every couple of years

Log home maintance

im a newbie too!
    so if you dont seal the logs, what preserves them?
    i wish i could go to washington for the seminar upcoming, unfortunately i can not, i have an aling father and need to stay close to home.
    if anyone is able to share some insites with me, id greatly appreciate it

Log home maintance

The trick is in the construction methods and materials used. I can't say more, as it wouldn't be right for me to spill their pot of beans, :wink: but you simply got to stop thinking on a "kit home mentality."

Log home maintance

True, a kit home is like "processed "cheese" compared to the real deal. Kit homes are basically a processed log house, In my opinion. The logs are "processed" to a degree they loose some stability. hmmm But some folks like processed cheese, and some folks like selling it so.........

LHBA Member

Log home maintance

wood bug-
    Very well put.

I think you said it all.

-A

Log home maintance

Thanks Adubar, Kind off a wierd analagy but ...notice even processed cheese comes in a "convienant" wrapper,ready to use,ya know like the nightmare those folks in Maine had :lol: They handled it much better than I would.

Sealing and staining

A quick question from someone new ot the forum and hoping to take the class next year. Is "sealing" the logs the same as staining them or is it two sepoerate processes? Is one supposedly for protection and the other solely for looks? Thanks!

Log home maintance

Don't hold me to it, but I'd say staining does effectively seal wood. The reason I make that statement is, I stained T1-11 siding using a opaque colored stain. Been like that for over 10 years without any sign of water intrusion. But I believe the official word is stain is not a sealer. I'm sure someone else on here will have the answer, rather than an opinion like mine.