Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood stove location

Wood stove location

I had planned to put my wood stove in the corner of the living room/house, but today my wife suggested it be more central, as almost in the center of the house. Two questions: does 15 feet make much difference when it comes to heating the house? And I want a fresh air duct into the stove - could that be run down through the floor instead of a wall?

Probably doesn't matter much where it sets. It's going to set up a convection current no matter what.

The woodstove in my camper has the fresh air line coming up through the floor.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I think the newer stoves can get fresh outside air going up the same pipe as the exhaust, with a pipe inside a pipe. One hole in the roof. I have seen that when they do wood inserts in existing inefficient fireplaces.

I'd rather run one through the floor.

Mr. Bo I always thought the floor idea is good. They do make a two wall stack that will let air in a small space around inside exhaust and this will keep temps. cooler . Good / Bad ? I believe I would follow Quality stove manufg. instructions.

Interesting. So which hole is going to be easier to plug after CO? Floor or wall?

Blog Entries
    Wall (window).
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    No science here just observations from using one. First year without outside air, drafty around all windows, doors.... Hooked up outside air to woodstove.. no more drafts...FYI

No need for a code to tell me which way to go... no further testing needed after 10yrs of use. Outside air draw it is. The fire is going to get the air to burn from somewhere.

I agree with Tom. With heated air flying up the flue, the replacement air has to come from somewhere, and I too have a real world example that outside air systems work. If I burn with the door open, I can distinctly feel cold air being drawn back through my range hood. Close the door, no more draft. I'm really perplexed why someone would go to the trouble to write such a lengthy article against a cheap option that is unlikely to cause a problem, and in all probability going to either cause no change, or help prevent drafts.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box