Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is the butt and pass log home too good to be true?

Blog Entries
    ed --

a hearty 'here here'

and a wink.

I 3rd that!

Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    We need to be far enough out of town to be able to just pay our taxes and be left alone to manage our own affairs. Off grid even better.
    That's why I'm doing exactly that.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I took this class shortly after retiring from the Army in 2004 (not sure when it was, though). My thought was that I'd be good to go if I just wanted to really leave the world and its crazies behind. I have my land, equipment and tools now and I'm ready to build. That said, no, not too good to be true. But leaving the crazy world behind IS too good to be true. You just can't do that. I was fed up then. Angry. PTSD--before they called it that. But I've dealt with that frame of mind--abandoning society, and wondering if I could really build a cabin. I built a large 2-story barn first. Then I started working on myself. I'm now a Public Affairs Officer civilian with the Army! You and I--we know what it is to accomplish a mission. Don't worry, bro. You can do this. *If you figure out how to use your GI Bill to pay for the class, let me know. I may be able to get reembursed, but I was in such a hurry to do this back then that I just paid for it out of pocket.

Hope you believe there are better places than Denver. So if the prices on land are too step think outside Denver.

Thank you for the encouraging thoughts and detailed stories and pictures.

IwordSmitty - it is refreshing and convincing to hear of someone that has been in the same boat as me so thanks for your input. I actually don't be using the gi bill. I've exhausted it already getting my bachelors and masters. I do think you could get away with it these days however if you jumped through the right hoops. Using the gi bill has seemed like more of a matter of perseverance than anything else be wise every student has different needs and the va really doesn't understand how to help anybody at first.

Anyways, Timber- yes I really do want to get out of Denver. The further west of Denver you go the cheaper the land gets and the prettier the land is. Not to mention the further west you go, the closer you get to snowboard country. But my work in IT will likely keep me at arms reach of Denver. I guess I'm trying to find a balance between having a short drive to work and living on cheap property outside of the city where nobody can bother me.

I outsource the IT work at my office and they hardly ever come on site. Almost all work is done remotely. Couldn't you live farther from Denver and work more remotely? Just a thought.

Bo- I really hope the future will bring that benefit my way. Telecommuting is definitely a magic word in my word bank. In the past the consulting I've done has been mostly on site, but maybe life will throw me a bone and I'll start moving to 3-4 days a week at home.

I'm constantly surprised by the number of folks within this community who have similar life experiences and offer helpful advice to people they don't even know. Tango Mike.

Hope you find what you are looking for in CO logsforvets. I did but it took me over 3 years of working with a realtor to do so. I got me 35 acres near Canon City and it is beautiful, got a stream, wooded hills... looks like a scene from Wild Kingdom. I too sat in the sandbox for 12+ months and read the LHBA site religiously, keeping my dream alive and waiting for the day I could attend the course. I'm finally going next weekend so the plan is in motion. Like you, I can't say enough for the people on this site, they treat everyone like family and it's amazing. I've found that I'm not the only vet that has seen too much overseas and is ready for a little solitude and piece of something that I can call my own.

Let me know if you want I can hook you up with my realtor, they handle properties all around the Colorado Springs area and are great people. I think there might even be some properties near me that came on the market. Keep your head down and come home safe brother.

Blog Entries
    Tango Mike,

> I'm constantly surprised by the number of folks within this community who have similar life experiences and offer helpful advice to people they don't even know.

We know you better than you think. Welcome and thanks for your service.Hope to see you on the other side soon.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!