Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the butt and pass log home too good to be true?

Is the butt and pass log home too good to be true?

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Lucas, though I haven't been called that for 10 months now because I've been looking for IEDs with the Army for that time. I am a newcomer as far as posting to this forum, but I have been following it as a guest for over a year now. I've read as much as the page has to offer. With that being said I want to attend the class more than anything at this given moment. Lets just pray that there will be another class after I get home from Afghanistan in October. I finally have the assets to get to the class and make my dream come true. My only issue at this point with the entire system is that it seems too good to be true. I've never built a house before. I love to get my hands dirty but build a house? If my dad taught me anything growing up it was that if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. But there is a lot of evidence of successful projects so I think I'll give it a shot.

I live in Denver Colorado and I'm looking to buy some land west of Denver. Another issue is that land is crazy expensive in Colorado. Any advice here? I know it will be covered in class. I just don't think I can settle for anything less than seclusion. I have to be able to go out back and shoot my guns and have nobody care. But I also know my work will also keep me close to Denver. If that seems contradictory to being in afghanistan currently its because I'm a reservist. I'm s full time civilian and part time military. Another concern of mine is plumbing and electricity. Is everyone just learning as they go? I've never done any of that. Just helped dad fix stuff growing up. I'm just an average Joe who can work but doesn't have a lot of know how. I just know it is time to stop throwing money away by renting an apartment and gain financial freedom. Thanks to those of you who stay current on the forum like LHN and LHFD. You guys are much appreciated by those of us just getting settled into this. For those of you that follow the forum and haven't posted your questions yet, do it. it is encouraging to read about others in the same boat. So to conclude my thoughts I would ask: Have any of you been half way through building your log home and said what the Hell am I doing? What have I gotten myself into? I fear that. Thanks again.

Hello Lucas. My first advice to you is to not worry so much! Yes, there will be other classes after you return home. Yes, you will learn the skills you need to do things to build your house. If you helped your dad fix stuff when you were growing up, you were way ahead of me at your age because I had no dad. The Air Force taught ME what tools were and how to use them. So I had enough skills to fix and refurbish some stuff by the time I took the class. After taking the class however, I dove full bore into BIG jobs at my Florida house. I replaced most of the windows, gutted and rebuilt a bathroom and built a really nice backyard shed all by myself (and I was 53 yo.) The class didn't teach me carpentry or plumbing. It did teach me that I could build the big house on my own though and I came home with a well of confidence. After selling the FL house I moved to NY where I am building a 14x24 conventional Little House build on the land I bought in 2006. It will be a shelter and storage while I build the Big House.

You're going to meet a lot of people here that are doing their "big house" right now. Some are doing log sheds, some live in trailers, some dive right in after the class and some wait for years preparing. So don't worry. You will be able to do it!

Get home safe son.

Frances

Blog Entries
    I remember feeling that way. To satisfy our doubts, We set out to see up close what this is all about by helping other members. We saw first hand that people with out experience, like us, have done their own foundations, got all of their walls up; one hired the Amish to do their roof for an affordable price; the other couple has already completed their garage and roof on their own and is about to do the roof on their home now. Too good to be true? No. We were assured that it was not easy. There will be challenges, things that don't go right, equipment that breaks, and weather that will not cooperate. To me, this is simply: Anything worth doing isn't easy. The one common thing in the members we have met: Determination. They are focused, yet flexible. It seems like a lot of this is a series of problem solving and research, and celebrating each completed step. Having a 5+ year plan seems to be where it's at for 2 people working on it on the weekends. We are in the process of taking out a loan on the land (30 year agricultural land loan), which we plan on keeping throughout our build. Then our plan is to save for a step: complete a step, repeat. If you want this, It is completely possible. There will always be another class, and it's worth every penny.

Good luck and come home safe!

Your question sounds almost silly Lucas, but that's due to what I see on the member's side of the forums. I think it's at an all time high that so many builds are going on at once, since I've joined.

Now by 'too good to be true', if you consider long, hard, often monotonous hours of plugging away at building a home too good to be true, well I can assure you it's real. You will learn to think differently, more creatively, to achieve your goals. That's why it says 'thinking outside the vinyl sided box' in my signature line. (sorry Tapatalk folks, you can't see the siggy lines) Basically, I feel one's only limiting factors are money and determination. I'm in full control of one, and with time, I can tackle the other.

But hey, I've seen people take $800 to Vegas and chance it on far bigger gambles than the LHBA class without batting an eye. I think you'd be making a safer bet here, than at the craps table.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376233375.546701.jpg
    Well here I am taking bad pictures from my loft bedroom in my warm home and your asking if is too good to be true. Your dad probably also says you get what you pay for. I have invested years of hard work and now I can leave a home to each of my children.
    I get the solitude thing. Hopefully you have someone to share it with. It makes life much more enjoyable.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Thanks rocklock. I've looked through your entire album of your build. I've actually gotten a lot of my inspiration from your work. If an old retired man can build such a masterpiece, surely a 25 year old can get somewhere close. I'm sure I will be looking to you for advice in just a few short months.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Has Any One Questioned What In The World WEre We Thinking? IDoubt Many Here Havrnt At Some Time During Their Build.
    However, We Are A 60 Something Couble Doing It And Against The Advice Of Lhba Have Done Our Own Logging Off The Steep SidSs Of The Mountains Using Equipment That People Look At And Say "What You Pulled Those 30" 44' Long Logs Out With That Little Thing.
    No One Here Will Suggest It Is Any Way Easy But It Is Very Doable. And Yes I Think Determination Is The Biggy Factor. That Is The Thing You Have Control of.
    Sorry My Smart Phone Messez With me
    Last edited by Mosseyme; 08-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Well that settles it then. I'll quit worrying and just take the next class and go from there. I appreciate the well wishes for coming home. Almost there. I know the LHBA teaches that this can be done alone. Does anybody actually do this alone?

Also rocklock I'm working on that person to be secluded with. We're not quite ready for engagement yet

Rreidnauer, you mentioned long monotonous hours working on the house. The funny thing is that is exactly what I'm looking for. Sometimes I think it is easier to picture working on the house as your gym. People pay $50 a month to workout at the gym. Why not put that 50 bucks towards a house and peel logs for your workout? It kind of makes going to the gym seem counterproductive.

Blog Entries
    One more point - There are tons of resources for things like plumbing, electrical, flooring, mansonry, etc. Most of the big box stores and some of the mom and pop hardware stores have people that can walk you through those projects as long as you are willing to ask for help. There are also lots and lots of books out there that will teach you anything you want (my preferred method, I'm getting quite a library going).
    "Logs aren't perfect, neither am I"
    http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z424/kennit828/