Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shed Question

Shed Question

After being inspired by Ivan's shed build and the progression photos that he has on it, I've been throwing around ideas to build a shed of my own next summer (or possibly the summer following that). I'm looking for some advice on an idea that could allow me to get away with building the shed without having to get a permit. The idea was presented to me but I couldn't really refute the logic behind it even though it seems unorthodox. The idea involves building skids in a frame and then building the log shed on top of that. This way the shed wouldn't be considered permanent structure and therefore would not require a permit. I'm thinking that I'd have 4x6 skids and build the floor on top of the skids. Then I'd set my first row of logs on top of that and build up in the normal pinned bnp fashion from there.

I also had a question for Ivan. When you built your shed why did you decide to do cinder blocks instead of pouring concrete posts using the sono-tubes? I'd imagine cost probably had something to do with it and I'd also imagine you put a footer below the frost line and stacked your blocks on top of that.

That's it for now. I look forward to hearing from some of the regulars that always have great advice.

Thanks,
    Jake

I have seen a few skid homes, sheds are usually built under the size limits of permits. Check local ordinances. They are commonly 120,200 or even 300 sf.

Where I'm at, you can build a non-inhabited structure in residential zones, up to 1000 s.f. without a permit. Just call your bldg dept and ask what's allowed.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Where I am it is 200 sq ft or under need no permit, but the skid thing is a no go. In order to be mobile must have wheels and towable to forgo the permit requirement if above 200 sq ft.

Blog Entries
    Some 40 years ago Govt. was trying to get rid of a bunch of the gold miners along the Illinois River, here in southern Oregon. There was quite a few of them who had built quite a homestead on their mining claims and not taking much gold out. Portable building were allowed so several of the miners screwed motorcycle wheels on their outbuildings. The Govt. gave them 6 months to move the building out and then came in and burned them all. The end of an era here locally.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

The implication of my post is that I know what is required permit-wise and my question is in regards to the actual building of a log shed on skids. Is there a reason it will not work? This is the question I am looking for advice on I guess.

Too bad about your area lhn, but I suppose that's what happens when the government butts in on private property matters.

No reason it couldn't be built on skids. These structures are more stout than a brick sh....... well, you know.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

That's about as close to a threads purpose as LHN ever got. He's usually way more off the wall. I'm surprised the word "shed " was even in his response.

The chinking is brittle, I wouldn't want to use the skids.

Thanks for the complement weedgnr. With the best intentions I would recommend to take the class. Your whole perspective on building log homes will change, in a good way. If you think about building a shed than potentionaly a cabin or a garage, than class would be more than worth every penny.

I built on cinder block due to ease of it. They are nowhere near below frost (frost line here is 42 in). My shed is only 16 inches (2 cinder blocks below grade, and 1 block above). It's not critical if my shed shifts a little. Yes, cost was a major factor, and ease of doing it.

Permit, what is that? Actually I did not have to have it, I asked my zoning department. They said if it is 200 sf or less, I don't need a permit. Good luck. Consider the class first though.
    Last edited by ivanshayka; 10-19-2013 at 11:42 PM.