Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member

Hello,

I stumbled upon the site last week after reading some other sites and other forums on log cabin construction and design. This site gives me some hope in that it seems I won't have to fork down $200K+ to get a home I have always wanted.

The Butt & Pass method intrigues me very much and I am thinking of "going to the class" as so many speak of doing. I live in the Twin Cities (MN) and have been looking off and on for some time for a few acres west of here (not more than a 1hr drive to downtown).

We have some family land about 4hrs north of here where I can get a lot of trees from, but the drive may prove to be expensive in transporting 50+ logs that far. I called a local guy and he wanted $5/linear ft. for white pine logs in a 12" diameter - that seems to be a bit pricey from all I have read here on the site - am I wrong? Other than that, I don't really have any tools, nor much construction know how - so I am definitely a "newbie".

Is anyone else on the Forum near me that has constructed or is planning to construct a home with this method? Or anyone else planning to go to Vegas next month for the class?

Thanks.

Four hours, so roughly 250 miles, you can probably get them moved for around $500/truckload if you really negotiate a cash deal with a driver. So say you need four truckloads. That would be $2000 for basically your entire superstructure. How's that not a good thing?!?
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

That's a great deal. I just spent $5000 just fixing a road from one mountain to the other to get my trees off my own property.

Well, let's say I want to build a smaller(?) log home 35 x 30 with 12" diameter logs. So, a 35' log would cost me $175, and a 30' log would cost me $150. I am just guessing I would need roughly 11 levels at 12" diameter to make for a main floor with a loft/2nd level? That would be about $3500, plus my ridge/roof poles, etc. and delivery fees.

In reading on the public forums, and from the way the class language read, it seemed there were cheaper ways to get the logs?

Quote Originally Posted by jakeanderton920 View Post
    Well, let's say I want to build a smaller(?) log home 35 x 30 with 12" diameter logs. So, a 35' log would cost me $175, and a 30' log would cost me $150. I am just guessing I would need roughly 11 levels at 12" diameter to make for a main floor with a loft/2nd level? That would be about $3500, plus my ridge/roof poles, etc. and delivery fees.

In reading on the public forums, and from the way the class language read, it seemed there were cheaper ways to get the logs?
    I misspoke - actually the cost is more like $7100, plus ridge/roof poles, etc. and delivery fees.

If you can get logs from family, all you will have is basically trucking.

Don't pay more than$2/ft for logs. $1 is a good deal.

Oh, and that is delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    Don't pay more than$2/ft for logs. $1 is a good deal.

Oh, and that is delivered.
    Mine were $6000 / (50x27ft)+5@35ft...

Then again, the 27fters averaged 14 in diameter, and the 35s averaged 23in. 3 loads pulled a mile up my road with a cat...

welcome Jake! good to see another Minnesotan here

Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79 View Post
    Mine were $6000 / (50x27ft)+5@35ft...

Then again, the 27fters averaged 14 in diameter, and the 35s averaged 23in. 3 loads pulled a mile up my road with a cat...
    I keep reading of varying sizes of log diameter for the build - is there a recommended diameter?