Thread: underground home and logs

underground home and logs

One of my uncles (now deceased) once built a stone house on the side of a hill in NE Texas, with about 1/2 the home "inside" an excavation in the hillside. I was only in it on a few occassions, but I do remember them saying it was cool in the summer, but difficult to keep warm in the winter, and as the hill's geology was porous, they had problems with water leaking into the walls.
    It could be they just didn't do it right tho. I kinda think he just built it on a whim--sort of 'just because I can' type thing.

LHBA Member

Re: regarding log/earth combo

Quote Originally Posted by grannyk
    I am really interested in alternative energy as well.
    Here is a forum for alternative energy. http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php

Check out the link on my signature. My Show Low place is off grid, so I have solar, batteries, diesel generator, well, water storage tank, etc., and THIEVES! (I cheated though, I bought it all set up. ) Now I just have to build a log home there.

Quote Originally Posted by DYork
    One of my uncles (now deceased) once built a stone house on the side of a hill in NE Texas, with about 1/2 the home "inside" an excavation in the hillside. I was only in it on a few occassions, but I do remember them saying it was cool in the summer, but difficult to keep warm in the winter, and as the hill's geology was porous, they had problems with water leaking into the walls.
    It could be they just didn't do it right tho. I kinda think he just built it on a whim--sort of 'just because I can' type thing.
    Hi DYork,
    I wonder if there is any difference between using concrete and having natural stone as far as heating and cooling effects? We don't have many mountains here in the midwest altho we might have a cliff or two looking over the Miss River. I doubt we'd buy land there though. More likely in a wooded area maybe with a pond or something like that. Maybe on a small hill? There are a few earth homes around here....and some log ones too!
    Guess I want the cake and the icing! LOL
    grannyk

Re: regarding log/earth combo

[quote="dbtoo"]
    I am really interested in alternative energy as well.
    Here is a forum for alternative energy. http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php quote]
    Thanks for the link dbtoo, I'll check that out! You sure have a great place to build your log home...wow what a view! Will the rocky conditions make it harder for you?

LHBA Member

It may pose a cost factor, but using pillars/crawl space , rather than slab or full basement, should make it managable. I am more concerned with having to put in a 2nd septic system. They had to blast for the previous one :cry: .

Hi DYork,
    I wonder if there is any difference between using concrete and having natural stone as far as heating and cooling effects? We don't have many mountains here in the midwest altho we might have a cliff or two looking over the Miss River. I doubt we'd buy land there though. More likely in a wooded area maybe with a pond or something like that. Maybe on a small hill? There are a few earth homes around here....and some log ones too!
    Guess I want the cake and the icing! LOL
    grannyk
    I wish I could help you on that one, but I really have no idea, other than what I have read here on this site. And, the opinion seems to be that foks are often better off using concrete, due to it's ease of working, strength, and ease of reinforcement, then afterward mortaring on natural stone as a facade or veneer to give it a solid stone look. I have seen a few older stone homes, and they usually have a few of the stones that have worked out over time. Maybe one of the stone working gurus will step forward and help out a little.

Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for your response and the good wishes on our 1st grandchild. :D What I was thinking of was something where the front and upper sides and roof were log and the rest was underground. I think they call these partial earth homes. This gives the added safety of being underground for storms ( tornado's) which we have allot of in the midwest. But I don't know if it could be done. My true dream is to be almost bill free other than taxes and recreation. That would sure make things easy for retirement. I am really interested in alternative energy as well. We have used wood heat allot but I wonder about solar etc. Here it gets awfully warm in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. We have 4 full seasons. What have you done with your home for energy and water?
    grannyk