Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all alternative energy gurus!!

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!

Calling all alternative energy gurus!!

I know we have a few threads on this but I'm lazy and didn't want to take the time to search.

Quick question. Would it be dollar efficient to build a system that would produce 1KW per day?

I'd need to include an inverter as I don't want to run dc equipment.

Ball park figure on cost??? Could I use just one of those 'homeowner" size gas powered generators as a backup?

As always thanks for all input!

Its never efficient to produce your own solar power. I have solar power because I'm totally off-grid, and I prefer it as I like the independence, but you can never produce it as cheaply as the grid. Some people think its free since they aren't paying the electric company, but by the time you depreciate your panels, your inverter, controller and batteries, you are paying way more. If you want to do it, go for it, but don't do it to think you are going to save money.

LHBA Member
    I'm not doing this for the house. Just asking the question cuz I have no clue if that's a lot or not a lot.

Yeah I'm convinced it's NOT economical to go off grid for the house

A 1KW system could run from 1,500 to 6,000 depending on what you wanted and whether you already have a generator. And whether you bought new or used. And whether you got in on a group buy or paid full retail. And depending on how much you need to spend for mounting - screw to existing roof or install a pole mount.
    Panels 250-600
    controller 200-600
    batteries 600-1200
    inverter 1000-2500
    It's sort of like asking how much it cost to build a LHBA home. It depends!

LHBA Member
    But it's a lot cheaper now than it has ever been,panels are cheap right now,but batteries keep going up,with some research you can put together a system for 5 or 6 grand

I have a 1KW system on my travel trailer and I'm planning on a 3.5KW system for the log home.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbluehonda View Post
    But it's a lot cheaper now than it has ever been,panels are cheap right now,but batteries keep going up,with some research you can put together a system for 5 or 6 grand
    True, panels going down and batteries up. Not good for planning ahead as you don't want to buy batteries until the day you are going to start using them. Panels will keep, but the price keeps going down, so no point in buying ahead.

LHBA Member
    We already have underground utilities on the property so that's what we'll use. I'm going to be setting up an aquaponics system and probably growing <pardon the pun> it to a commercial venture. I'm exploring the possibility of setting that up completely off grid. At least we'd know, no matter what we'd be able to grow our food.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    A 1KW system could run from 1,500 to 6,000 depending on what you wanted and whether you already have a generator. And whether you bought new or used. And whether you got in on a group buy or paid full retail. And depending on how much you need to spend for mounting - screw to existing roof or install a pole mount.
    Panels 250-600
    controller 200-600
    batteries 600-1200
    inverter 1000-2500
    It's sort of like asking how much it cost to build a LHBA home. It depends!
    Thanks a million Bo, this at least gives me an idea. I also realize it depends. You hit the nail on the head there. What I didn't know was if 1kw/day was a large system or not so large. From your figures now I know it's not so large.

Actually, I'm a little confused by Dan's specs for the original question. He said 1 kw per day. So does that indicate he wants a 1 kw array, or to actually produce 1 kwh over a day?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2