Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Construction Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    I highly suggest spending money recklessly before, during, and after the class.
    I'm thinking this is one of those things I'll understand better after taking the class.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    We have been collecting for 15 years, 12 of them before this journey. We already had a JD 4x4 tractor with backhoe and forks plus scoop bucket and bush hog. We already had a little 450 JD bulldozer to build and keep up the road on this place. Could have hired someone to do it but what fun would that be. It is a constant job to keep a long driveway working right. Also about 2004 we acquired a little portable sawmill. We are doing all of our own lumber but remember if you do you own it is very time and energy heavy. Also some kind of shelter for living while you are on your property. We have found each of these to be indispenseable for our particular situation.

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingtheRubicon View Post
    I'm thinking this is one of those things I'll understand better after taking the class.
    LOL Far from it!! You'll understand this one better when you understand Ronnie better! Then again, I am not certain ANYONE understands Ronnie! He just builds great LHBA homes!

Blog Entries
    CrossingtheRubicon,

At the moment, I'm more interested in your name. Can I assume the Rubicon is a frequent visit of yours? It used to be practically in my back yard. Ever been back to the Cabin?
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

It IS our back yard. Our property is just off Wentworth Springs road. Stay on Wentworth long enough and it merges with Ice House Rd then it's Loon Lake, (Tom's) cabin, and then ..... the Rubicon

BTW.. someone is selling 40 acres of Loon lake frontage for $199k, just a few small problems, the only way to get to the property is by boat and lots of snow at 6500 ft elevation.... But what a view!

Blog Entries
    Now I remember some of our earlier conversations. I loved hunting and fishing the area for 30 years.

Once we get started on our build, we'll have to touch base and get acquainted.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Crossing the Rubicon,
    You will have numerous lhba folks around,
    Hey Dan, We just might be the New NW and outnumber them.
    We should start a battle for the numbers on the current builders.
    I'm afraid we will never catch up if we include the oldtimers and LHN.
    Notice I said and LHN, I would never call you OLD.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    Notice I said and LHN, I would never call you OLD.
    It's not the years... It's the miles.

PS... I have a healthy self image, Mossey. I do not fear honest assessment.

Hey all, thank you so much for your replies!

Lots of good ideas. Like Mossey, our family has been collecting equip for a long time. For us, most of that equip is essential when owning livestock, farming large parcels ( it used to be much larger than 23 acres) and being largely self-sufficient in the process. However, building log homes are new to us. We've always dreamed of living in a log home, off-grid in NW Montana. I just want us to be as prepared as we can be and you can get great deals out there on equip as long as you have enough time to be certain you're getting a good deal and not the first one that comes in to view because your out of time and you need it now - type of deal. That's when it can really hit your pocketbook.

Mossey

I couldn't agree with you more ! We used a Ford 9n with all of the attachments, a Farmall with a few attachments and a 4x4 Kubota with front loader bucket and backhoe. What one couldn't do...the other could. My Husband is convinced he wants a skid steer for excavating purposes, reminiscing from his old construction days.