Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding and Staining...

Sanding and Staining...

I haven't been able to take the class yet, but plan to in the fall. One thing I wonder about as I read through different blogs is why the logs aren't sanded (and possibly stained) before they are stacked...especially the sanding. Is it because they aren't actually sanded, but instead are just pressure washed?

Thanks for your input,

Lisa

Blog Entries
    Several answers, Lisa, but the main reason is that using the system taught at LHBA class, we can stack green logs without the traditional worries about log wall settling issues. Most stains wouldn't like sappy logs and sanding would be a disaster. Also the logs would get ugly as you dragged them to the building site, etc.

So you peel your logs. Then stack them. Then get them under a roof. Then the big rush is off and you can relax and finish your log home as your logs are curing.
    Last edited by loghousenut; 04-23-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Several answers, Lisa, but the main reason is that using the system taught at LHBA class, we can stack green logs without the traditional worries about log wall settling issues. Most stains wouldn't like sappy logs and sanding would be a disaster. Also the logs would get ugly as you dragged them to the building site, etc.

So you peel your logs. Then stack them. Then get them under a roof. Then the big rush is off and you can relax and finish your log home as your logs are curing.
    Not to mention you are going to cut a bunch of holes in your logs for windows and doors and you probably don't want the same stain on the outside as on the inside (if you want stain inside at all).
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

This makes sense. All of it. Simplicity just about sums it up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LBolton2008 View Post
    This makes sense. All of it. Simplicity just about sums it up.
    We're just scratching the surface, Lisa... You oughta hurry up and snag a seat in the next class.

My two cents worth... NEVER sand logs. Stacked or not I will never do it again

Blog Entries
    I sure wish we could get Fuzzy to say that. It'd be the word of a bonafide expert in the subject..

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Blane,
    What would you recommend doing? The loggers weren't as gentle as I would have hoped when they were unloading, so we have some rough spots that I had intended on sanding smooth, but hearing someone say "I'll never....." Always makes me think twice if that's what I was going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I sure wish we could get Fuzzy to say that. It'd be the word of a bonafide expert in the subject..
    Sorry Nut, I'll still do it on the next one... ok, maybe I'll get smart and walnut/cob blast.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Walnut shells. Sanding logs is NUTS!