Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No shrink log

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No shrink log

I just came from the Atlanta Log Home Show and find it amusing how some folks say their logs do not shrink, I was always told that all logs will expand and contract regardless of being dry kilned. How do you folks feel about this?
    I am looking to build a simple 28' x 52' ranch over a basement with the main level being 6" x 12" square log 9 high with roof trusses. I want to slot the window and door vertical framing members for expansion and contraction and would like to know what the most common tool is to make the slots. What are the most common fasteners used in the slots? Are there any good DVDs or books on building log homes? I have built several stick framed homes in my day but this is the first log home and the home where the bucket will be kicked so I want to do it right. I am 55 years old and determined.
    Thanks again, George

George,
    You will not get that kind of information on this website. We do not use timbers to build with and we do not concern ourselves with shrinking. We use real whole logs that are pinned in such a manner that there is no wall shrinkage to contend with. Please read around these forums, there is a lot of good information here. Good Luck on your build.
    Work Safe!

Blog Entries
    Welcome George!

I'll be "Double Nickel" this May and I'm currently waiting for my house logs so we can start our build. I pretty much agree with everyones comments that you've already received.

Yes, Wood will continue to expand and contract through the seasons. It has no bearing upon the method of construction that is promoted here. And is another reason why I ended up taking the class and contribute here.

I've personally looked at Log Home construction for over 30yrs, and knowing what I do now, I'm so glad I didn't buy a "kit home" or tried to do it myself. I have worked with and on many of these other methods of construction throughout my working career and want nothing to do with any of the maintenance and costs associated with them. I'm a painter by trade. I won't be putting a finish on my exterior every 2-5yrs, by choice, and I know our place will outlast my grandkids with little maintenance.

Read through this public forum with the Mrs. Get to the class asap, if you're looking at building your own place with logs. Building season is rapidly approaching.

Tom

Hi George,

You are right, all logs will shrink, the real question is how do you keep them from settling and buckling your windows and doors. How do you get away from floor jacks to raise and lower your roof? LHBA can teach you a method that will eliminate those worries. Kit homes are really expensive I found out 5 years ago. Our homes don't always have that polished manufactured look you find in the kits but they sure do look like log homes. If you have built stick frame houses before you can do this, it really is a simple way to build, you may change your mind on the dimension after the class but I recommend you make plans to attend.

A shot of our place.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NlIuNyFIDL...0/IMG_3003.JPG

Where is this class one can take?
    Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    Hi George,

You are right, all logs will shrink, the real question is how do you keep them from settling and buckling your windows and doors. How do you get away from floor jacks to raise and lower your roof? LHBA can teach you a method that will eliminate those worries. Kit homes are really expensive I found out 5 years ago. Our homes don't always have that polished manufactured look you find in the kits but they sure do look like log homes. If you have built stick frame houses before you can do this, it really is a simple way to build, you may change your mind on the dimension after the class but I recommend you make plans to attend.

A shot of our place.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NlIuNyFIDL...0/IMG_3003.JPG

welcome George! blane's got it right. our logs shrink just like all other logs. the thing is, because of our building process, the walls do NOT settle. so we don't have to worry about doing special things with doors and windows

Welcome George,
    Go here to register for the class.
    http://mechanicaltransfer.com/classe...-3rd-2013.html

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    I'm registered and will be in the March class. I hope to "meet" you there George. Open your mind to building with logs, full logs, that you won't have to worry about "settling".

George,

Classes are usually held in Las Vegas, or if you are real lucky, in Gold Bar, WA in an authentic LHBA style structure. (in my opinion, the only place a class should be held!)

Looks like you stumbled into this forum without finding the main website. Be sure to check out www.loghomebuilders.org You'll see things are done way differently here than the methods you are considering.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Just a note about your simple ranch that is almost twice as long as wide...

We use real logs, not lumber (milled on all four sides). Real logs have taper, hence is would be impossible to match that taper of 52' feet in 28', which will lead to major gaps. Plus the length of the walls will be really expensive vice the enclosed area. And I agree with all the other comments...
    Last edited by rocklock; 02-24-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!