Thread: rake windows

LHBA Member

rake windows

Just saw rake windows on craigslist for $500 new the only problem is the pitch is 10/12 and as I understand the max recommended pitch is 6/12 to maintain the overhang. Has anybody used a steeper pitch? I'm concerned about the overhangs being too short or else hanging too low. Any bright ideas? Oh and I'm in the class next week, just came up on this question yesterday and can't wait a week for the answer.

Why don't you PM "rockengineer."

Blondie

LHBA Member
    6/12 has many advantages, including the overhang issue you mention. Also, much easier to work on and and less material for the roof compared to 10/12. That extra material in the roof will probably negate the "deal" on the windows.

You could go up another couple of courses to gain some more height above your windows so the overhangs don't hang too low.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

I built 12/12 and will do another the same. Koenig's place also looks like a 12/12. Ramblinman's place looks like a 10/12.

Harder to do and more expensive, but if that's ok, and you like the look, I don't see why not.

Blog Entries
    There will be other deals on windows. I have a pretty good stack of beautiful, never installed and free, windows that I have moved several times over the years. I have finally realized that I will probably use none of them in the house.

LHBA Member
    Thanks for the input. I had not thought of the extra cost of roof offsetting the savings. I have worked on a couple of 10/12 roofs and the pitch makes it daunting and I'm liking the look of a metal roof so steep and slippery was another thought I was thinking.

My advise is not to buy anything before the class regardless of the deal. Your plans will totally change.

Brad