Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Categories of Log Home of Year Award

2 Categories of Log Home of Year Award

I just got to thinking about a recent-gone-viral post on the forums here, and I think it would be awesome if LHBA gave away two awards annually.

One award can be for the nicest, most glorious home, the other annual award given to the person/family that built the most frugally.

(Disclaimer: I understand that "nice and glorious" may include a frugal build, just wasn't sure how to distinguish them in a description.)

In this way the person who builds most consistently with the DIY, frugal ethos of the LHBA gets honored along with the build that hires out much of the work and that use mainly new products in their build.

Each category could follow certain guidelines to be considered in the category of choice. For example, to be considered for the "frugal" award, one must use a block and tackle system for lifting log and purchase 80% of their material used or previously owned but not off the shelf.

What do you think?

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    I like the concept!

LHBA Member
    That sounds like a good challenge. I like the idea. :-D

sounds like a fun challenge.

Great idea.

I like it, but what if you score a free Telehandler off Craigslist? Do you get disqualified?

Heck, I think you should win a award just for that...

I'm betting Rod's up to the challenge.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 02-18-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

Love the idea! However, I agree with Timber that the total cost should matter, not whether they used a telehandler or not. Many people plan their work and rent the telehandlers for a short period, or buy a used one and sell it afterwards.
    2012 - Took class, bought stock plans, closed on land, started property cleanup, got used camper trailer, hooked up power & water, demolished ruined mobile.
    2013 - Continued cleanup, marked property lines, drained "Mosquito Pond," hooked trailer up to septic, made trails, built fire pit, relaxed & enjoyed the place!
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Log%20Home/
    (Please excuse our teeny photo album. Chalk it up to newbie enthusiasm, lol!)

Those "guidelines" were not set in stone, just ideas. Again, the category was DIY.

I guess the LHBA administrators could decide on the guidelines. I'm just throwing ideas out there. I like the cost total, too.

I can see of a person built frugally but was loaned a telehandler that that would NOT be quite fair.

LHBA Member
    I like total cost. Isn't scrounging, borrowing, pleading, convincing part of being frugal? I've had people tell me "frugal" has a "cheap" connotation, I tell them, change it to resourceful then.

LHBA Member
    I so gotta find out where the "edit" button is located. I forgot to add in the previous post. I like the idea but I don't really need an award to be proud and feel accomplishment from make a dream reality with my own hands. The most exciting part of this journey will be the journey itself. I'm giddy with excitement of the hunts, the finds, the work. When we're finally finished with the build, I can imagine it will be like the feeling after finals. You feel the urge to get busy doing something but then realize you're finished. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.