Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Approximate time from start to finish

Approximate time from start to finish

Hi everyone, just started looking at this a month or so ago when I stumbled across it looking for log home kits and so far this has me very impressed and wanting to take the class as soon as I can (already busy memorial day weekend or I would sign up then). I have read through a lot of this stuff and realize that when I finally do take the class most of my questions, if not all, will be answered. The one question I have though is about how long does it take to build just the main infrastructure of the house (the walls, roof, floors, etc.) so that you have just a basic building? It will most likely just be myself and maybe a few friends here and there working on this. Do you think I could get just that stuff done in the course of a summer? Really I'm just trying to get an idea if this is really probable or not working a 9-5 mon-fri job.

Blog Entries
    You and a few friends "could" get it dried in in a summer. But . . . . things never go exactly by the schedule. Deliveries are delayed. Digging something takes longer than thought. Trips to the store because you forgot something important. Inspectors not on your time line. The telehandler broke down. How many times you didn't get up early enough or work late enough.

Could you? Yes. Would your life be over if you didn't get it that far in a summer? Hopefully not. Smile That is the kind of flexibility you need to have in your mind.

If you mean could you do it and still be working a 9-5/40 hr a wk job? Harder but still possible.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Me and my employee can go from foundation with logs peeled to under a metal roof, in 2 weeks. Most first timers take a couple months.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Took me a year and a half to get all that done with my son helping working a full time job and working on the house 4 nights a week and most Saturdays. I had absolutely no experience building before I started my place.

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Even though I was tempted to reply, I wanted to wait to see the members answers. I was going to say, how big are you building? If you had everything in place, foundation, permits, logs peeled, telehandler, roofing materials, and you weren't building mcmansion, sure you could do it. Anything is possible. The true perfect question is, how bad do you want it to happen?

I am just under roof now so foundation, peeling, staking and roof had taken a little over 2 years. I work full time and work on it some weekends and usually take a couple weeks vacation to work on it.
    Foundation and peeling summer #1
    Stacking summer #2
    Roof Summer #3
    Plan for this winter is to put the first floor in. Now that the roof is on we can work year round although plan on not working as much on it at any one time. Those weeks and weekends we would work very hard and long. Does seem to wear you out.

Brad

I am 3 years into the project and I hope to be under roof this year or next.... but I am almost 6 hours away and that represents a about every other weekend during the late spring, summer and early fall time frames.

Like Ronnie always says - it's a combination of time, money and quality - pick any two...

Enjoy the journey!
    Yoopers Pat
    "The joy is in the journey - not the destination" - at least that is what I keep telling myself!

I'm a year and a half into it and still trying to get my building permit.

just finished our third building season working every weekend from spring to late fall. have the logs stacked on the cabin and the garage almost completed (still needs 2 service doors, chinking on inside, workroom and bathroom walled off). hope to finsh the garage in 2013 and get the cabin underroof too.

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Quote Originally Posted by panderson03 View Post
    just finished our third building season working every weekend from spring to late fall. have the logs stacked on the cabin and the garage almost completed (still needs 2 service doors, chinking on inside, workroom and bathroom walled off). hope to finsh the garage in 2013 and get the cabin underroof too.
    I'm interested in picking your brain on the garage. How far is it from the house? One garage door or two?

I know a lot of my questions will start getting answered in a couple of weeks at class. That being stipulated, we have a 20' pontoon boat and a closed in trailer (not as long as the boat). Initially we wanted to build a garage long enough to drive the jeep hooked up to the boat into the garage and be able to leave it hooked up. Then I put a tape measure on the jeep/boat combo. Yikes. We were also contemplating machine shed stye doors on over head rollers. Well needless to say those plans are changing. Still love the idea of a log garage with a covered breezeway/outdoor kitchen area between the house and garage.

Haven't heard many comments on folks building a garage too, so you piqued my interest.