Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie

We are brand new to the log home world so our research has just begun. Of course, like most, we first started looking at 'kits.' We have moved on from that, although, I have to say I like the more 'uniform' appearance of them next to a very rustic type log home. I will mention, however, that looking through the numerous photos on this site, the more rustic look is growing slightly on me.

We are a military couple are are approaching retirment in two years. We first plan to buy property in Montana (or possibly northern Idaho) outright, but know nothing about that either, really. We own 2 houses (or the HOA's do really), so are looking forward to a brand new experience of buying raw land. Our hope is to buy a big enough parcel to be able to build at least 3 structures on it, our home, + 2 or more cabins.

The idea that we can build our own log home, seems unrealistic. I would love to BELIEVE, but I'm not there yet. Knowing how heavy logs are, I cannot fathom how my husband and I could possibly hoist them to stack them without some major heavy equipment, even with the help of our sons who are in their 20's. Someone mentioned using equipment that can fit in the trunk of a car. SAY WHAT?

It would be nice to get into one of your building clinics, but I've watched them for awhile now and they are always booked. I may be forced to find another type of "school" just because the classes are never available. Any suggestions? We are currently in Idaho. I did sign up to receive notice of the next available class. Fingers crossed that it is not on the east coast or something.

Thanks for any advice!

Hello Newbe,

I think there will be one the first weekend in May, you can call about it now.

Yes, you can lift logs using the tool shat you have kept in the trunk of the car AND THE BUMPER of the car.
    Karen
    Last edited by Blondie; 02-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Woodinville WA / still have a home in Anchorage Alaska
    Newbie -- Keep your eyes open for the email announcing the next class. "A little birdie" tells me there might be one in Vegas coming up soon (coupla months).
    Until then, KEEP READING here-in, soak up all you can (it'd taken me months, before jumping in -- and now I'm in with both feet, head-and-shoulders : ). Also, there are some great books on Do's/Dont's on buying land (some referenced in these forums).
    Whether you build "rustic" or not, build it yourself or not, Build kit (banish the thought!), or NOT -- The Class will open your eyes and make your jaw drop! Cost of the class will pay for itself many times over (and you'll be that much 'wiser' regardless the path you take thereafter). Be Sure to sign up both yourself and Husband. (I Do Not stand to profit if you do or don't -- nor doother members), but......I bet ya this message gets echoed to you by others real soon.

Wait for it........
    Wait for it........

My husband will definitely be in the class with me, whenever that may be. I don't even know how much the classes run, but from what I'm hearing, it's well worth whatever the fees. Is there a website to visit to sign up for the classes or at least find out costs and more about them?

Thanks......

Quote Originally Posted by LBolton2008 View Post
    My husband will definitely be in the class with me, whenever that may be. I don't even know how much the classes run, but from what I'm hearing, it's well worth whatever the fees. Is there a website to visit to sign up for the classes or at least find out costs and more about them?

Thanks......
    This link is available to the public -- there are a couple of typos (reference Nov Class, though it is for a SOLD OUT March class, and states there are <5 spots left -- there are none left for THIS class). Like I said Keep Your Eyes peeled for the next class announcement......then POUNCE on it : )

http://mechanicaltransfer.com/classe...-3rd-2013.html

My husband and I were lucky enough to stumble into a not quite full class a few weeks before it took place. We are now working toward making it happen! We moved to a new state and are living near the land we bought. This will take us awhile yet to even start building as we're just prepping the land, but being on the forums really helps keep you motivated! You can build with little equipment, and in the class they will teach you how. Some of us are opting for power equipment to get it going a bit faster and easier, but it does add to the cost. It isn't impossible, and it's not necessarily really hard to understand, but it is a lot of work. If you are ready to start a project that will take awhile, have some bumps in the road, roll with the punches, meet some great new people, and end up on top, and you're not afraid of sweating and working hard, this is the place for you. You won't regret the class, good luck!
    ~Brigitte

attended class- 3/17/12
    received stock plans- 4/4/12
    closed on 5 acres in NC!- 5/12!!
    moved from CT to NC- 12/12
    popped out a baby- 5/2014
    well/septic permit- 5/2017

Current project- finding logs, getting plans approved, grading the log yard, scheduling start date

Iron Station, NC; building near Franklin, NC
    Blog Entries
    The new class for May is now listed at the mechanicaltransfer site.

Welcome, and do lots of reading on here
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

I do have another basic question.....where the heck does the electrical wiring go. Clearly we wil hire a licensed electrician for this part, but I cannot imagine where the wiring is placed....???

......Wiring, Plumbing, Foundation, Lifting logs with stuff that fits in the trunk, if you choose (of even a Miata), SOURCING logs, free or cheap labor, expert advice.......All ingenious.....yet logical. And all revealed in class. To re-iterate, some of it is jaw-dropping, wide-eyed, eureka! and "no duh!" ......stuff.
    What's better than the class? You learn SO MUCH, that no one can take away from you and even more, from us like-minded members that want nothing more than to see each other succeed in the adventure/endeavor You'll be smarter, wiser and will become a member of the LHBA "Family".