Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Built for $20,000 Sold for $350,000 .. I'm a critic and here is why.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt F. View Post
    Hi Don!

I'm still seeing it written as $20,000. If you are referencing the article here, there is mention of a home built for $40,000. But two paragraphs down, you will still find Sherie and Debbie's house at $20,000.
    Hi Matt,

It says $40,000 for Sherrie and Debbie's home on the LHBA facebook page.[QUOTE]

I'm not surprised Fabincabin got banned. If you look at his post history, pretty much all of his activity was questioning the LHBA and calling members liars. He was hyper-focused on cost, and refused to believe anything that members said about cost (and inability to give him an accurate number for what it would cost him to build).
    Matt, I clicked on the link you are talking about. I think you made the same mistake that others did half way through the thread. He was using a cost analysis equation to help another person who had questions. He himself was not asking questions or concerned about cost.

My issue with this thread and in general is with people who criticize others for having opinions perspectives or questions that are not popular. For the life of me I still can't figure out what this guy did wrong. Seemed like an honest attempt to address something that bothered him. Whether he was/is ultimately right or wrong is besides the point. I understand that this is a private board and the owner can ban whoever he likes for whatever reason he likes.. but generally speaking the right to free speech exists to protect unpopular speech.. That's the only type of speech that needs protecting.
    I don't see where he was disrespectful.

I signed up to comment on this thread because it bothered me. I've said all I wanted to say on the issue. I'm going to go look at some of the images here. There are some very impressive houses being built.

Did someone say impressive cabins?
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Woodinville WA / still have a home in Anchorage Alaska
    WW!!!
    Most are building "Elephant Cages". You have a Godzilla Pen, Ronnie!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Hi Matt,

It says $40,000 for Sherrie and Debbie's home on the LHBA facebook page.
    That's a typo, and we'll fix it. Non-nefarious human error. www.loghomeinfo.com has the correct amount.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Cool, the old site has a lot more interesting info, especially in relation to the student built homes.

My quick $.02
    Class was best bang for buck in my life.
    I'm almost done with my log home. Ill have spent 20k land, 5k (net after getting lumber) logs, 25k walkout basement with radiant heat. 75k rest of cabin NICELY. Ill be under 125, and I could sell for three times that.
    My build would've been 20-40k more without other members help. (Labor, tool sharing, pooling resources, many etc).
    It's allowed me, more importantly, to achieve a LIFELONG DREAM- of building a log home. Not a hunt camp, kit crap disaster.
    Ditto that I have nothing to gain from supporting LHBA model.
    ( but hey E- you can mail me an XL shirt just cuz you love me!)
    Try to get this in a kit!
    Luv F
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360888856.750778.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    WNYCabinplannin, is it ok if the shirt reads...... "LHBA, where necrobumping is ok"? <ducking>

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    My issue with this thread and in general is with people who criticize others for having opinions perspectives or questions that are not popular. For the life of me I still can't figure out what this guy did wrong. Seemed like an honest attempt to address something that bothered him. Whether he was/is ultimately right or wrong is besides the point. I understand that this is a private board and the owner can ban whoever he likes for whatever reason he likes.. but generally speaking the right to free speech exists to protect unpopular speech.. That's the only type of speech that needs protecting.
    I don't see where he was disrespectful. I signed up to comment on this thread because it bothered me.
    The free speech article of the Constitution is frequently misused. Intent of speech is important in ALL communications. If you had a holiday party and your drunken brother showed up and began to call your wife and kids liars, is his right to say that protected? No, my bet is you would throw him out right on his keister. (Don't know if keister is spelled right. My stepfather was German and used that word all the time!)

There are a lot of trolls on the internet and every once in a while one finds his way here. I too am on other construction forums and I've seen the so-called "experts" get miffed when the "apprentices" do not respect their seniority and know-it-allness. I even found them to be rather sexist and dismissive of their members who are women. I find this forum and this association to be the warmest and friendliest and most accepting. It really cannot compare to the others in any way.

There is no free speech constitutional right in a private forum.

I still contend he had a valid point, and could have gotten away with it if he had asked the question in a more tactful way. But then, I have my own definition of tact.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    There is no free speech constitutional right in a private forum.
    I still contend he had a valid point, and could have gotten away with it if he had asked the question in a more tactful way. But then, I have my own definition of tact.
    I agree. But I object to the title... Just from the very start he was objectionable, IMHO.
    I would have deleted the whole thing and banned him, but then I am just the crotchety old guy... with experience in talking with disagreeable kit builders. Thankfully our moderators are different!
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!