Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Built for $20,000 Sold for $350,000 .. I'm a critic and here is why.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonfromutah "after reading this thread for the first time, i keep coming back to two words. And these two words are directed at the originator:

Common sense"

JJ Jr said "w h a t ????"

JJ, It's a term that Skip invented and it has been defined, and used, in every LHBA class since the beginning of time. It means.... Well, I'm afraid I can't do it justice but it means something like "You already know you want to build your own log home with your own hands. Now that you understand that it is possible, get out there and do it!"

More on this sometime after noon on the first day of class.

Quote Originally Posted by thoner7 View Post
    If either of you know much about working the Texas or OK oil/natgas fields please PM me with some info. Im interested in that field and it sounds like you both may know the deal..

Thanks.
    Why would you like to know?

That was supposed to be what would you like to know . Stupid auto correct

Quote Originally Posted by exsailor View Post
    Spiralsands, one of our members lived in Florida, and saw palm trees fall. They are too fibrious as mentioned and insects devour them in nothing flat. Look to something a bit more substantial.
    Huh? I don't want palm trees. I live in Upstate NY and have a forest of pines and hardwoods, about 15 acres, my own to log. You musta been thinking of someone else.

Frances (spiralsands)

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonfromutah "after reading this thread for the first time, i keep coming back to two words. And these two words are directed at the originator:

Common sense"

JJ Jr said "w h a t ????"

JJ, It's a term that Skip invented and it has been defined, and used, in every LHBA class since the beginning of time. It means.... Well, I'm afraid I can't do it justice but it means something like "You already know you want to build your own log home with your own hands. Now that you understand that it is possible, get out there and do it!"

More on this sometime after noon on the first day of class.
    LHN ____ My old man used the term as far back as WWII-Korean War and he said years ago Gramps used it as an expression of why the Great Depression happened. Being a survivor of the .com meltdown and '07s confirmation that what goes hope shall come down we mostly all know something similar one hopes. By watching things go up around me that again are $2M plus homes it seems not to be applicable to everyone I guess.
    Think the new milleniums term might be live within your means vs common sense. Just they don't often practice it.
    Attended a "green and build small" workshop some years back now and they used similar expressions.
    Both would be correct, if not necessarily specific I guess to whatever.
    Heck - I even used common sense last night when youngest said he was looking at an new SUV and comes over all excited about spending $44k and change for somethat that'll look like mine in a year or 2. I would have sold him mine for $12k

I thought there was a missing "something" in the post or it was a continuation of something from somewhere so I was lost at where and why the comment made
    in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by spiralsands View Post
    Huh? I don't want palm trees. I live in Upstate NY and have a forest of pines and hardwoods, about 15 acres, my own to log. You musta been thinking of someone else.

Frances (spiralsands)
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was referring to the post that you described how long palm trees last on the ground, not that you were building with them.