Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Foundation question.

Just giving ya a hard tme Ed.

I know what ya meant.

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Quote Originally Posted by edkemper View Post
    I was referring to the exhaustion of the weekend. That's when the mind hit a third digit and hasn't slowed since.
    I'm hoping I'll be exhausted but still mach 2 with hair on fire!

Pulling this thread back to foundations... I've seen a ton of stuff on here about the goodness of ICF for foundations. I just ran across something called Thermomass, which looks like it is patented and more proprietary than an Apple computer. Anyway, it sandwiches rigid foam between layers of concrete, instead of using the insulation as a form for the concrete. Is anyone here, (maybe rreidnaur, or another engineer) familiar with it enough to speak about it? It seems to be a bit more work to pour, (but certainly doable), than ICF, and it's supposedly able to last for centuries, since the insulation is protected by the concrete. I wasn't impressed with the use of fiberglass instead of rebar. Perhaps if rebar is used to tie the two layers of cement together, instead of the fiberglass, it would be different enough to be eligible for an opensource hack. Anyway, is this foundation suitable for a log home? (without getting into the stuff that I'll learn in the class) (Can't wait till I get the opportunity to attend. Please pray that my orders to San Diego get processed and I am able to work out the logistics for my wife and I to make it over the Laborday weekend.)

Thanks

GKN

WH6DUJ/NNN0KVP

Hey look! I made honorary engineer status again. One of these days, they are just going to have to mail me my license. :-)

I looked over the system they have. It looks a lot like a cast-in-place version of Superior Walls. (a system I would not use for LHBA method of building) My biggest worry in the Thermomass system is shearing forces between the concrete layers from soil backfill loads applied against the walls. There is a potential of deformation of the concrete ties within the foam core, which would compromise some of the wall's resistance to flexing, especially mid-span between corners. Further, trying to compensate for the potential flexing with rebar reinforcement in the relatively thin layers of concrete won't have the same effect that it would in a thicker slab. Much flexing resistance would increase by putting in the first floor before backfilling, just as is done in concrete block construction.

Looks like an OK system for lightweight construction and above ground wall systems, but I'd be hesitant to utilize for full basements, especially with the weight factor of an LHBA home sitting on top.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

rreidnauer, thanks for the gouge. You might not have a PE behind your name, but your advice on this board has been spot on, and insightful.

GKN

WH6DUJ/NNN0KVP

Blog Entries
    Rod's a pretty good DR also. He once gave me a gallon of a special cure to get rid of a boil I'd developed from too much truck driving. It dried up the boil and got me back to work in no time, and I have been using the leftovers as starting fluid when the Boss is not feeling the proper amount of romance.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

I . . . I don't even know how to respond to that . . . .
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Rod's a pretty good DR also. He once gave me a gallon of a special cure to get rid of a boil I'd developed from too much truck driving. It dried up the boil and got me back to work in no time, and I have been using the leftovers as starting fluid when the Boss is not feeling the proper amount of romance.
    so your saying it's an all purpose elixir! i hope its non'toxic lol

The show moonshiners is filmed in my County.... Just saying
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"