Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the discussion...and super psyched!

New to the discussion...and super psyched!

I'm new to the log home building discussion, but not the log home building dream. I'm planning on signing up for the March class as soon as the funding comes through...probably this week...and I'm extremely excited. My wife and I are in the process of purchasing 42 acres in Heath, Massachusetts and we want to build a home there for us and our two young children (4 and 1). I'd love to hear about and see photos of any project in this area. I have some construction experience and I worked as a stone mason / equipment operator for a few years in my twenties. I also grew up on the farm and have a good deal of confidence in my ability to make this happen...though I'm sure it will be quite an adventure. Right now I'm working as an Earth Science teacher, administrator, and dorm parent at a private school and we live on campus so we are not under a time crunch but we also have summers off, so that should give me lots of time to work on the project. I plan on surveying our new property and looking for timber in the coming weeks, but I would love to start researching places to acquire timber nearby and on a teacher's salary. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself before taking the class, but I would like to line things up enough to get the walls and roof up this summer, if not more. Any advice anyone can give is welcome!

You have more time than money. Patience young paduine. Start collecting tools and supplies. Build a shed on your property to keep them in. Build another to sleep in while you build. Avoid a loan... I am disabled, but in no rush to sell, as I own the property outright.

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    Welcome williams, everyone will tell you wait to start till after the class. best advice for sure. the greatest thing with taking your time is when you are done it's all paid for, which is what I'm after as well.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Are you at South Lancaster or Edgewood? Welcome aboard. You will find a great family here.

A nor easter? Welcome aboard!
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Thanks everyone! I know that being patient and taking my time is the way to go, and I will do my best. The property we are purchasing already has a well drilled on it and it has been perc tested. There is a septic design that has already been approved as well....though that was done about 12 years ago and will likely need updating. The building lot has been cleared as well. My "patient" plan is to work on the access road and build a practice cabin and/or shed there this summer, so that those will be in place when we start the big build, and I'll have some practice with the techniques. I have a very strong network of friends and family that are timber framers, plumbers, sawmill operators, excavators etc. and my uncle is a professional estate cleaner / scavenger / handyman...I'm sure you can see why I'm anxious to get going, but as StressMan79 pointed out, with two young ones and a teacher salary I've got everything I need except the $$ to do it without a loan. We plan on getting as creative as we can and trying to save money wherever possible.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    A word of caution... Our method of construction is different from the other means of log home building. Until your friends and family understand this principle - our wall do not shrink... This simplifies all of the other phases of construction... Don't get a loan. If you can live on the property, do it ASAP.
    good luck
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    A word of caution... Our method of construction is different from the other means of log home building. Until your friends and family understand this principle - our wall do not shrink... This simplifies all of the other phases of construction... Don't get a loan. If you can live on the property, do it ASAP.
    good luck
    I've been pouring over the LHBA site and doing other research as well, and I'm a believer. We have a great place to live now...we currently live on campus where we work and don't pay for housing, and that won't dissolve any time soon...so there isn't any real rush. I'm just excited. I hear you...loan free is the way to go.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    How far do you live from your property. This is a major issue for doing weekends ect. With the summers off though it won't matter as much except it is so hard to stay away when your are in the heart of the build when it is a long distance. We are 7+ hours round trip from ours. Makes for a lot of hours on the road that we wish we were working.

Blog Entries
    WILLAMS!!!

I wish I was as young and smart as you are. Sit back and relax a bit and take the class... The rest will take care of itself.

PS... Hug the kids for me.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.