Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought land

Bought land

We just bought 32 acres of heavily covered pine trees. Our plan is to build a 3 bd 2 .5 bath on it. We are trying to get in these classes. But they are back

congratulations how exciting!

Whooooa,
    Tell us more! Where? How big are the pines? How far away from Power/water? Views? How........ Yup!Plz tell us much more!

Blondie

Blog Entries
    3 bedroom, 2-1/2 bath... Sounds like a 35x35 to me.

You know, you'll probably save enough money buying the LHBA plans to more than pay for the class. I call this one a no-brainer.

Congrats on the move forward.

[QUOTE=loghousenut;80794].

You know, you'll probably save enough money buying the LHBA plans to more than pay for the class. I call this one a no-brainer.
    QUOTE]

I bit ---- 'plain this one to me ?

'nudder question ?? - So a 30 x 30 is more like a 2 br and 1 bath then? Or is 1.5 bath managable w/o making other things to small? Trying to build model from dowels and it seems to me that extra 5' all around is huge deal and allows so much more. Also means much larger logs than what I have access to without paying for them.
    Much prefer smaller so it fits into landscape better but no plan at this point for full basement due to terrain what I have above ground will be it.

[QUOTE=JJ Jr;80796]
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post

QUOTE]

I bit ---- 'plain this one to me ?

'nudder question ?? - So a 30 x 30 is more like a 2 br and 1 bath then? Or is 1.5 bath managable w/o making other things to small? Trying to build model from dowels and it seems to me that extra 5' all around is huge deal and allows so much more. Also means much larger logs than what I have access to without paying for them.
    Much prefer smaller so it fits into landscape better but no plan at this point for full basement due to terrain what I have above ground will be it.
    A 1.5 or 2 bath is easily doable in a 30x30

It's about 20 miles out of talihina oklahoma side of a big hill in the kiamichi mountains awesome view average diam of trees is only 10-12 inches haven't measured height but they are pretty tall. Also have a handful of oaks about the same height with no branches till close to the canopy about 20-24" diam. Also lots or reddish rock that seem like they should be good for anything from piers and beams to drive way....

Oh yeah closest power is 1.5-2 miles but we are figuring on solar and wind. Creek on property and water well estimate is $3k

Go to the class , the quicker the better. LHBA is the way to build. Common sense, practical applications fits right in with Oklahoma where the wind goes sweeping over the plains.
    That is a beautiful area and very appealing to a person wanting to live close to nature. I considered that area but could not resist the pull of Colorado and Cool weather in summer. Talihina Drive over into Arkansas is a National Treasure, especially in the fall. If You get off the main road 100 yards near Horse thief Springs you can walk on the old original government road built by the Army in 1800's, part of the Trail of Tears. Amazing area of History that should not be forgotten. IMHO Good luck with Your plans, they sound Great !

LHBA Member
    DB71-- Sounds like a great property in a nice area. Congratulations. Do try to take the next class. They're worth every penny. We couldn't be happier with our home built the LHBA way!

JJ Jr-- Unless you buy the LHBA stock plans, how many beds and baths you fit in a certain square six is totally up to your expectations, interior log structures, and creativity. As you've found in your planning so far, an extra couple of feet (not even 5) in both directions can REALLY help you fit more things in... especially when you start planning hallways and stairways. It seems like your upright supports always tend to end up in the middle of the hall or stair or bathtub the first couple of designs! We built 36x36, with two above-ground levels and a generous loft, because 34 and 35 were too small and 38 was way too big.

If you haven't taken the class, you may find that your plans and expectations change quite a bit once you do. That was our experience, having started our home designs before the class and fiddled with them for a couple of months afterwards before we built. But the longer you think through your floor plan, in my opinion, the better able you'll be to see the "right one" when you get to it. Also, if you don't have the exact home site bought and selected, you might find you want to adjust your plans when you do, to take best advantage of site specific factors and, as you said, to fit best into your site landscape.

Good luck, folks! Sara
    Work safely out there, everybody!