Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rocket stove mass heater

Eagle, a damper operated by-pass can be built into a MH to permit the smoke to go up the chimney and operate as an ordinary fireplace.

The size of the fireboxes is designed to optimize the heat in the amount of wood that fits in them.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    For the basement option, we used a Sierra free standing wood stove for many years. It was in the basement of our 3 level home. We had it in the furnace room maybe 10'x12'. The floor above was open trusses so the heat went out over the walls. We also had a open 1.5'x3' venting hole in the wall of the stairwell to promote heat up the stairs. We have a central heat pump but we kept the thermo at 58 or so just in case we failed to wake up and feed the stove. The central heat seldom came on. Our home is a stick built home with fairly good insulation. We stopped using the wood heat some years ago due to allergies developed to some of the wood types. We will probably look into the outdoor wood furnace thing because of the allergy issue. If not for the allergies I would be very comfortable with having the wood stove in the basement and would expect it to do an excellent job of heating our log home.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrapper View Post
    Eagle, a damper operated by-pass can be built into a MH to permit the smoke to go up the chimney and operate as an ordinary fireplace.

The size of the fireboxes is designed to optimize the heat in the amount of wood that fits in them.
    Why couldn't you just add more wood and have another burn? Would/Could it overheat?

And how short are we talking anyways?

Thoner, they really are not designed to be heated continuously. MHs are designed to provide a certain amount of heat. Heater masons do careful evaluations of houses to get the right size and the fire box is sized to match. They even look at the kind of wood used and calculate how many pounds per burn are to be used to optimize performance.

Heater masons pay very close attention to issues of masonry expansion and contraction and I am certain that constant firing would stress these issues - - - as well as perhaps be like turning the thermostat up to 80 for about a day.

I think a typical burn is between one and two hours. Enough, IMO, for a nice social fire.

There are a fair number of youtube clips of MH firings.

Blog Entries
    I'd love to have a big ole masonry rocket stove.

A plain old wood stove is sure cheap, quick, and easy.

I wonder what Skip woulda done.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Too me, a MH is like building your own home. Ya just gotta wanna. ;-{>8

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I'd love to have a big ole masonry rocket stove.

A plain old wood stove is sure cheap, quick, and easy.

I wonder what Skip woulda done.
    Take a plain old wood stove and dry stacked a big pile of rocks on top of and around it?
    Last edited by thoner7; 12-30-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Finalizing my rocket stove design. This design (tryin2hard on Youtube) expends the heat in the post ignition
    chamber and heats w/ the stove and not the exhaust. Supposedly it has a longer than average burn time.
    It'll be very large... after the refractory is installed it will be about 9" x 9" x 18" and with the heat exchanger
    I'm hoping to bring about 33,000 btu/hr into the structure. The internal heat riser will be long (about 72").
    This will make the structure that houses the furnace tall (and expensive). Will keep a running update.

G'pa
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

Blog Entries
    a click and a click and a click.......
    Led me to this interesting set up.

I thought of Rod. ( I mean that as a compliment )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrWtlf_4ny4
    Iowa Log Building -- some day
    pics http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh510/pltn1042/
    Member since Oct 1999

Ha! I've already seen that video.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box