Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vertical vs horizontal log homes?

Blog Entries
    Toby,

I think the biggest problem here is we know one way fairly well. This site is full of people doing, planning or done building with horizontal logs. Not saying you couldn't build a great place with those logs. Just that they would be 90 degrees out of most of our knowledge.

Rockclimber is someone that could build a log home with dowels to old growth redwoods even diagonal i'd bet.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

I'd box in the verts with a base n cap 4 rigidity. Spline the walls to the base w/ a 2x6 pt. Borate the hell out of the groove in the base. At the tops of the verts (that were only cut to length once installed), lag a piece of 2x1/4 strap across. Then your caps, 5/8 barred to each vert. Of interest, you'll have to build the doors n windows before you finish the wall... Lots of other nuances to.

It can be done.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    What about going the more traditional way, 120 logs even if they were all 14' might not be enough to do the whole house. What about getting enough long logs to do one layer full length to set your foot print. Then 2 more layers over the doors and windows, that is only 12 long logs. Then design your home to use the 8-14' logs between the doors and windows. If you used the longest ones at the corners so you have more for pass logs and overdangles then space your window to make best use of the logs. It would take a lot of finess to get the layers to come out even but with a good catalogue of your logs it could be done. I bet you would have a better home in the end than the vertical way.

Isn't there a link to the Sherods (sp?) place one the public side somewhere? They used shorter logs. As Ronnie said, you have to think outside the box.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#

HELLO, my name is Steve, and I have been reading this thread on Vertical log homes. I have not been here before, but have been searching for info on Vertical log homes Because I now own one..It is a beautiful building that was built in the late 50's and we enjoy it, However I suspect whatever they used to insulate between the logs may have deteriorated because it is hard to heat/cool..
    Any one with any help?

Can you post up some photos?
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box