Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot water showers

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

Hot water showers

If you are like me, I really enjoy a joy water shower. I found a solution that requires minimal water pressure, two "C" cell batteries and a 20 pound propane tank. It is a tankless water heater and it really works. It is called Eccotemp and cost about 100 bucks from amazon. I have seen one in operation. I want to get mine going this weekend.

I've been looking at these for the guest cabin we'll stay in while we build. Please report back once it's up and running!

Yea, I too would like to figure out how to install one inside the camper, while still finding a way to vent the intake/exhaust outside. I really dislike my ultra-inefficient tank heater that I currently have. There are two companies working on or already produce retrofit tankless units for RVs, but they are very expensive, and still require burning propane as a freeze protection mode.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

Rod,
    They also make an electrical option for RV heaters. We find the electrical option much less costly than listening to all that propane go to waste.
    Work Safe!

LHBA Member
    Installed an Eccotemp 2 years ago, 3.5 gpm, hardwired, indoor model, propane. Works great, did modify the plumbing to isolate the unit to gravity feed vinegar into the heating tank to keep the mineral deposits under control, also flush cold water through the tank after heating water probably a bit of overkill on maintenance. Was also pleased with customer support, were very helpful with a few startup questions.

Quote Originally Posted by dvb View Post
    Rod,
    They also make an electrical option for RV heaters. We find the electrical option much less costly than listening to all that propane go to waste.
    I'm off grid. Electric heat anything is out of the question.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

Rod, let me know if you end up trying the propane version for your trailer. That's the unit I hope to use, one way or another, unless I go the very earthy route and build an outdoor cob shower shed with built in rocket stove.

Louanne

Administrator
    Moved to solar/alt energy since it's a good off-grid living topic. Seems like a neat product so we also tweeted a link to this thread.

While the eccotemp sounds like a great gadget, sometimes you need something simpler(limited fuel/water/power/etc). I ran across this idea today, sounds like it would work well if you're living as a minimalist but don't want to resort to a sponge bath. http://tinyhouselistings.com/ou-off-the-grid-shower/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
    While the eccotemp sounds like a great gadget, sometimes you need something simpler(limited fuel/water/power/etc). I ran across this idea today, sounds like it would work well if you're living as a minimalist but don't want to resort to a sponge bath. http://tinyhouselistings.com/ou-off-the-grid-shower/
    Use a backpack sprayer and you could clean up while you're out for your morning walk.

OK, Really,

There were years in my younger life where I'da jumped on this idea in a heartbeat. I've never been much of a fan of sponge bathing while standing in a washtub next to the woodstove... Well there was that one scene in that Harrison Ford movie where he was living with the Amish. Forever a fan of good acting.