Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot water showers

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Use a backpack sprayer and you could clean up while you're out for your morning walk.

OK, Really

There were years in my younger life where I'da jumped on this idea in a heartbeat. I've never been much of a fan of sponge bathing while standing in a washtub next to the woodstove... Well there was that one scene in that Harrison Ford movie where he was living with the Amish. Forever a fan of good acting.
    Seems I recall your a Navy vet so tell us about the Navy showers vs the Marine showers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noswar View Post
    Seems I recall your a Navy vet so tell us about the Navy showers vs the Marine showers.
    In the Navy, the shower water had never been inside a helmet.

My little Dixie Cup hat is off to those of you who ate from a can or a pouch and shook the mud, dust, and blood from your socks.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noswar View Post
    My guess:
    Navy shower = 30 seconds to get wet, off while lathering, on maybe a minute to rinse. Saves water.
    Marine shower = cold rain.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donjuedo View Post
    My guess:
    Navy shower = 30 seconds to get wet, off while lathering, on maybe a minute to rinse. Saves water.
    Marine shower = cold rain.
    When I was a kid listening to my Dad(Marine) and his brother(Navy) what I got out of the ribbing was Marines only showered when it rained and a Navy shower was just a dab of underarm deodorant.

A Marine officer said for us to remember that
    the Marines are just a department of the Navy...
    "The Men's Department".

Submitted by:

G'pa, whose number was 43, was 1A, and breathed a
    sigh of relief when he heard the draft was suspended,
    and we were pulling out of S.E. Asia, and was about
    seventy five days from receiving a letter that said;
    "Greetings!".
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

I like the Tiny House post about their setup. Okay, with 2 gallons of hot water I could probably get all my hair WET. Hmm...i wonder how big a tank i could get on one of those...

This is what I've been doing.

I use about five quarts+ for a nice, long hot shower. Takes about 30 minutes to shower. Also,a six gallon,
    low-profile plastic gas boat tank keeps the shower from needing a step ladder to enter. Thinking of hard plumbing an insulated 303 stainless steel tank. Might be a lot more convenient than having that sprayer in the shower with me.

I use Dove, or sometimes Ivory. One day I used Dawn ("Get's grease out of your way!"), and soft water. It took a lot of water and a lot of time to get that stuff out of my skin.

Not as nice as a tankless hard plumbed shower in a warm bathroom, but it's a far cry from the shower tent.
    This is a poor option for the future as G'ma gave me a very firm "NO!"

G'pa
    You know a persons relatives didn't like them when
    their obituary starts with the words, "Ding Dong"

LHBA Member
    Why would you waste all that time when setting up a real shower is easier,a RV water pump, water heater ,fiberglass shower enclosure,I live off grid in the middle of nowhere (nearest neighbor 7 miles)but I don't rough it,I have more than enough to keep me busy without wasting half the day to take a shower. I've seen these TV shows where the people live like back in the 1800's hell with that it's cheaper to live if you make your time count on things that can save you real money

Rocklock, did you ever get your eccotemp set up? How's it working out?

I thought if you lived off grid you didn't have to shower. Otherwise what's the point....

Been looking at land that's off grid lately, guess I'm gonna have to start paying attention to things like this.
    Assembled by a local fiend with his own three hands...