Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hot water showers

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
    Rocklock, did you ever get your eccotemp set up? How's it working out?
    I set it up inside my lower bathroom then left WA. I worked great. My son and daughter-in-law has used it during the winter.

The water is bad - high iron and manganese - so when I get back in two weeks I will start up a solution then we will have good water that can be heated in a much larger furnace.

I will be using it outside when it get warn.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Thanks rocklock.

FWIW, my l10 was broken when I got it. Cracked cast aluminum part where propane comes in. No hot water @ my place 4 17 days!

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so after almost 15 years of off time with no hot water winter or summer except a little warm water in the black hoses laid in the sunniest spot by the shack I'm going to experiment with a little solar project. After reading about and seeing a solar stove made from just a box lined with reflective foil I have decided to make a box and line it with reflective material and paint the water tank [that we removed from the old motorhome before it was stolen] black, place it in a sunny spot and see if it will hold enough warmth to get a shower by the time we quit working at or after dark. I will line the box with a little insulation board to try to help keep what heat it develops. In a few weeks I'll let you know if it works.

Some exterior mounted reflector panels will really boost performance of the design you mention. Just think, one mirror big enough to reflect onto the whole box will double power input.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Was planning to do a hinged lid to tilt up at an angle to reflect down into the box. The box design will be half height on the front, double the height of the tank on the back to let the sun directly into the box then have the hinged lid lifted in the sun and down after dark. What do you think? How about if I used mirror tiles on the inside of the lid so when it was up it reflected down into the box? I don't want to get to heavy so I was originally going to use reflective foil of some kind.
    Last edited by Mosseyme; 04-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Yea. Even simply putting foil on the hinged lid will help. Anything to steer solar energy towards the tank.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

Blog Entries
    However you need to keep the sunlight out of the water to avoid growing unwanted stuff.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

I am interested in this solar hot shower, what is the materials I will be needing in making this? Can I hire someone experts in this job?

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    I am just using a plan out of my head put there by a solar book idea. The book had a plan for a solar stove, just a box with reflective material on the inside and a lid on top and a black stew pot in the bottom with food in it. Said they had managed to get the temp to 300 degrees. I just want warm shower water so I'm using an old water tank from a motor home [55 gal] and built a plywood box big enough to have space around it. Then lined the box with 1/2" styrofoam sheets and cover the styrofoam with tin foil. I have the tank lifted off the floor of the box about 5" to allow the air to flow around it. Now just have to get the plumbing hooked up to it. It will just be feed with mountain stream water so it will have to warm the water quite a bit but I only want 90 degrees out of it. When I get finished I will post the results.