Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting DIY homes

LHBA Member

Interesting DIY homes

:lol:
    Don't worry, Ellsworth. I think that WE are all copacetic, just curious. It's the guy on the website Jeff linked that seems to have issues.
    :wink:

I never heard your dad call anyone an ignorant rube for questioning his methods. Not to their face, anyway, right? :lol: The facts speak for themselves, so there's no reason to get uppity. So if this guy has the answers about off-gassing, which he seemingly does, why the hostility about the questions? That was my only point.

Actually, I think that maybe the issue here is one of "environmental responsibility", and that's where the attitude comes in. If you really cared, you wouldn't be looking for reasons not to build with tires, or whatever.

Just my thought.

Sara :D

Interesting DIY homes

Quote Originally Posted by Ambarian

Actually, I think that maybe the issue here is one of "environmental responsibility", and that's where the attitude comes in. If you really cared, you wouldn't be looking for reasons not to build with tires, or whatever.

Sara :D
    I bet he's just sick of answering that question 4 times a day for the last 30 years. LOL :D

Jeff

Interesting DIY homes

Hmm. As far as old tires goes, retailers have been selling something called "EcoSurf" for years. It's a matting made from chipped up old tires, and while it does have an odor when 1st unrolled, it can used just about anywhere. The smell soon goes away. If you wish to see some, go to a Lowes Store, and venture into their major appliance section. You will find this grey material around the bottom of their fixtures that the dishwashers are displayed on. I know this because I work at a company that builds these display fixtures. I've read the MSDS on it and it has good marks. Been cutting, glueing and handling this stuff myself for several years now, with no ill affects. (Boss-I can't work tomorrow-the voices told me to stay home and load all the guns)

LHBA Member

Interesting DIY homes

The previous owner of my place had a unique use for tires...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e209/dbtoo/07frontporch.jpg

Don't think I'll use the technique for my log home, though.

Interesting DIY homes

Ahhhh. A mosquito farm. Nice!

Interesting DIY homes

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer
    Ahhhh. A mosquito farm. Nice!
    I don't think there's a very big mosquito problem in those Mesa Arizona tires. Not much chance of rain collecting in them either--for very long.

LHBA Member

Interesting DIY homes

Those be the Show Low tires, so they'll see a bit more rain, and some snow too! In Mesa, we actually do have a mosquito problem because too many people don't take care of their pools, let them get all green with algea. Perfect breeding place for 'squiters.

But that's off topic. Sorry. :oops:

LHBA Member
    Has anyone mixed design elements from the earthship with the LBHA style cabin? I like the cabin, don't like the hobbit house look. I am wanting to catch my water, and build a greenhouse on the south wall. Would the humidity of a greenhouse rot the logs? It would give me passive solar heat in the winter and make an air draw though underground ducts in the summer. With radiant heat in the floors, which I could run chilled water through in the summer, I think I could make a self cooling and heating house. I am not sure how to run the numbers, but it should be feasible.

Hemp GH !

Hmmm... I wonder if they can make hemp winda's?
    Last edited by Kola; 11-18-2019 at 04:59 AM.

I think she needs to add a butt and pass log house to her portfolio.

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe