Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting DIY homes

Administrator

Interesting DIY homes

I found a couple of interesting website today and thought I'd post them for folks to check out. Very unusual, DIY type of stuff.

http://www.tnstaafl.net/Earthship/earthship.html

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/glennkangiser/album?.dir=/8ac1&.src=ph

I'm not sure I like the idea of living in a home made of rammed earth and tires, because tires contain a lot of chemicals. I'd imagine that some of that would leach out over time?

The other home is rather neat. It seems very 'organic' in design and quite eclectic... almost like a bizzare hobbit hole ;)

Interesting DIY homes

Very close to a Hobbit hole, but no round doors. Very eclectic indeed.

Tom
    nobleknight

Interesting DIY homes

LOL, most Americans already live almost totally surrounded by plastics. Heck, most car interiors are all but 100% plastic. And anyone who knows their stuff about VOC emmisions from it can tell you that isn't healthy. How much worse could this be? :roll:

Interesting DIY homes

http://earthship.org/

The tires are filled with dirt and pounded with a sledge hammer to form a 300 pound "brick". Once you plaster over them there is no "off gassing" ( I think that's what they called it). :)

Interesting DIY homes

Thanks for sharing Ellsworth. The "hobbit hole" is eclectic indeed! But very homey and comfy looking. I would think it must be fun to live there.
    I especially liked the "inspector". Those are the kind you want to deal with! :D

Shanara

LHBA Member

Interesting DIY homes

Ponyboy.... isn't plaster still a ... well, a permeable membrane, so to speak? I'd be really surprised if there wasn't at least some off-gassing.

Of course, you can't protect yourself from everything that could be potentially harmful, I guess. :wink: Some of these alternative building materials and techniques are certainly interesting anyway.

Sara :D

Interesting DIY homes

Hello Sara,

I believe your right about the plaster being able to breath. Especially the earth plaster they like to use. I think that with the tires being encased in plaster the things that make it want to "off gas" are pretty much taken away (sunlight, oxygen, Taco Bell....) :shock: :D

Here's their FAQ

http://www.earthship.org/build/offgas.php

Jeff

LHBA Member

Interesting DIY homes

Thanks, Jeff.

I'd glanced around the site but missed that page.

It's an interesting explanation, and sounds reasonably logical (and like you said, the elements that one would guess would be breaking them down are probably mostly eliminated.

Seems to me, however, that if this gentleman is trying to convert others to his methods, he might conceivably get farther in that direction if he didn't start off his explanation by labelling anyone asking about this issue as "irresponsible". Was I seriously considering his technique, that would have been quite a turn-off to me. :wink:

Interesting DIY homes

Quote Originally Posted by Ambarian

Seems to me, however, that if this gentleman is trying to convert others to his methods, he might conceivably get farther in that direction if he didn't start off his explanation by labelling anyone asking about this issue as "irresponsible".
    Sounds more like something the log home kit manufactures would say when you ask them about their inferior building method.... :mrgreen:

Administrator

Interesting DIY homes

Wow, I didn't mean to start a controversial debate, I just thought they were some neat websites.

When it comes to tires, about all I know are the treadwear, traction and temp gradings ;)