Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipi Construction

Quote Originally Posted by BoFuller View Post
    I'm amazed at the things I learn after 62 years. Two college degrees and to my recollection, I had never seen the word tipi before. I thought it was a poor phonetic attempt at spelling teepee, but upon looking it up, it appears tipi is the norm and teepee is the alternative. It just goes to show what one doesn't know.
    Patient: Doctor Doctor I can't work out if I'm a tipi or a teepee?

Doctor: I've examined you thoroughly and I want you to take two clonazepam, visit a Spa and take some Yoga.

Patient: But what was your diagnosis and prognosis?

Doctor: Well if you follow my proscription it should all work out for you by tomorrow!

Patient: But you've still not told me what's wrong with me, please Doctor tell we what's wrong?

Doctor: Oh sorry, it's so simple I thought I'd said it already... you are two tents!

I apologize for the old joke... but I really couldn't resist!

Blog Entries
    Watch it, Mr. Fori... You're gonna fit right in here if you're not careful.

With the advice, I think I WILL build a deck for the tipi/teepee . I'll probably scratch the idea of making my own cover and buy one already made. With this I don't feel the NEED to build every part of it myself as I do with the log cabin. The tipi will serve as a place to temporarily sleep while building the cabin.

One of my hobbies is living history; we get together in primitive encampments and loosely recreate a Rocky Mountain Rendezvous. Tipis are common sites at these events. As was pointed out a number of sources are available for commercial traditional type tipis most will run you around $1500.00 depending on the size. Here is a listing of websites to check out: http://springvalleylodges.com/ http://www.pantherprimitives.com/tipis.html http://tentsmiths.com/period-tents-t...nal-tipis.html
    http://www.tipi.com/tipipoles/Tipi%20Instructions22.pdf this is a very well documented setting up tutorial
    http://www.arcticcanadatrading.com/p...-canvas-tipis/ http://www.tipiscanada.ca/page1/page1.html
    http://www.whitebuffalolodges.com/index.html

Here is the one exception it is a book devoted to the living history topic and skill set. It teaches you how to layout on raw material, construct then set up your tipi. I find it available used and fairly inexpensive. Here is the title and author, "Mountainman crafts and Skills" by David Montgomery, it has a complete section on laying out cutting pieces and sewing a tipi. Enjoy

Thank you for the links! I will have to spend some time lookin through them. I will look into the book, sounds like it would be very interesting even if I don't end up making the actual tipi myself. Thanks again for the information!

I am not sure what kind of tipi Kola ended up using, but I recall Montana Canvas being mentioned in the discussion of options he had available. http://www.montanacanvas.com/product...ana-lodge-tent

Yes, he did drywall and insulate because his canned goods kept freezing in the winter. He had a wood stove for heat and a camper LP stove for cooking. I admire his setup and independence. I've tried to contact him this year but the email addresses I have are no longer valid... hope the guy is doing well.

Another cheaper option is to use a billboard tarp. They usually come in 14x48, but sometimes you can get them bigger(we have a 26x48 tarp with a 45' high heineken bottle advertisement we use to keep our potato patch dry over the winter). These tarps are about $40 and you can find them on craigslist, or a few different internet retailers. The material is much more durable than the cheap blue tarps you find at the big box stores(sorry LHN), more like the pvc tarps that truckers use to keep loads dry. They tend to come in white or black on the blank side. I think they can be glued with vinyl glue, like pvc cement.

Blog Entries
    nudge -- Kola?
    we talked about you with HIGH regard.
    Idaho HIGH regard.
    any comments?
    Broncology is now an LHBA member and is on the forum...

I just saw this thread. Yeah I lived in my tipi up here in the Rockies for many years....first year, nothing but canvas and poles and a woodstove vented out the smoke flaps. The first winter I froze my petunias off and then framed it in and insulated it. Last fall after 7? years the canvas finally rotted out due to extreme weather and almost constant CO sunshine. I wanted to test myself, live off grid, haul in water..etc etc..barebones living. I played with gardening techniques which are a challenge up here with short summers, cold nights, hail and early snows. Root veggies do well and I built me a small greenhouse and later but a small fireplace inside as well. I could write a book on my life up here but don't have the time. You don't have a lot of free time when you are in survival mode, little money and older bones (I am 56....I think)

I bought the tipi and poles for a loner dude in Montana, he no longer makes them though. he cost me about 4 grand with shipping and the g-dang tipi poles were about 20 foot long. It was fun hauling them out 20 of them from the Fed Ex building in my 8 foot horse trailer with 12 foot hanging out the back whipping and bouncing around like a flyfishing rod. Of course the Oinkers pulled me over, I acted like a dumb redneck (easy to do) and they let me go...he just shook his head as he walked back to his baconmobile.

I could go on and on...yada yada. Bottom line...a tipi would be great in AZ, Fla or some place where the climate is better. I surely got a boatload of respect just thinking about how the Native Indians endured the harsh winters. Of course fur blankets were a must and heated rocks under ther beds helped ....but still, man..it's still gotta be rough as shite. Oh! and a pretty squaw to snuggle with probably kept things warmer. Here's some pics..any questions hit me up.

pics

22 ft round at the floor and about 15 foot high it wasn't tiny by any means, built her on a 22x22 ft deck, withstood 80 mph winds, hail, heavy snow, etc. Those savage Indians knew what they were doing. I must say it was romantic laying there at night, looking out the smokeflap opening and seeing the stars. The smokeflaps (when open) acted like big ear collectors and you could hear every sound from miles away...coyotes, chipmunks, woodpeckers, thunder, etc etc. When you had a fire going inside and went utside the tipi looked like one bigass lighted party cone and was super cool looking.

The guy who made the tipi said it took to 3 men to put it up. With my trock and my dog I did it myself......only to find out I measured wrong as the canvas was too high off the decking. I had to take the entire thing down, readjust it and put her back up. It went up like a breeze on the second go-round. lol.

d186.jpg
    Last edited by Kola; 08-29-2014 at 01:23 PM.

here's it morphing along as I dealt with new challenges (weather and such)

Attachment 2490