Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipi Construction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tipi Construction

I feel like this has probably been discussed before, but I wasn't able to find anything through searching.

Any made their own tipi from scratch or know of a good source for information? I have the poles, but am not sure of where to source the material for the cover. Wondering if I would be miles ahead to buy a cover already made by a number of manufacturers? Thanks for any help!

Kola! Where are you?!?!

He was our resident tipi expert, but doesn't participate on the forums any more. He's still living year round in one in Colorado.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

I miss Kola, I know Crazy Crow sells them, had some friends with canvas from there, they liked them http://www.crazycrow.com/mm5/merchan...de=825-200-000 If you are planning on staying in it much I would suggest doing as our good friend Kola did, Build a large deck, and erect your tipi on the deck. keeps it up out of the mud. The other way to go is find 10-15 buffalo, kill and skin them, use their brains to tan the hide, scrap the hair of, use their tendons to sew them together, and then smoke it long enough to make it water proof.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Didn't Kola drywall the inside of that tipi? I know that sounds bizarre but I remember that for some reason.

Ha! Yes he did. It was an effort to further insulate against the high elevation Colorado Winters.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Blog Entries

Wait just a durned minute!!!

How about used carpet!? Several layers. Free. Outer layer can be UV resistant and almost any combination of colors. Bury it when you are done with it. Heck, it'd even make a good floor and cold curtain.

LHBA Member
    Supposedly the back side of carpet is a good surface for applying a masonry stucco, that would make one high class stout tipi.

Blog Entries
    If the Plains Indians had had access to hippie tarps they would have never needed Bison hides. For them it was all about finding a way to do it that made the most sense. They didn't have to worry that someone would coma along and chide them for being out of style. They only worried about keeping their families alive for another year or two.

I work at a place that sells a 2 pack of really thick 12'x16' tarps for $17. They are modern silver on one side and either brown or blue on the other. Several layers overlapped would last as long as all that hide and cost a lot less. Tradition vs. functionality... You have to find your own balance. My Dad used to say that the Indians would have traded slaves and wives for friction tape. That was before duct tape came along.

So anyway, I think you oughta cover your TeePee with something that is cheap, durable, and serviceable. Bison hides if you have a bunch of them and a wife or two to work with them... Hippie tarps if you don't.
    Last edited by loghousenut; 08-11-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    What kind of a man would cover up perfectly good junk carpet with STUCCO!!!!???

Then again, it might work.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    What kind of a man would cover up perfectly good junk carpet with STUCCO!!!!???

Then again, it might work.
    Only an average Joe, circa 2/1/54 would stucco carpet that be me, certainly you can relate or have sympathy with.