Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Icf

Regular+ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Featherstone View Post
    FA, 8" core is usually required for the load and it is suggested to use 10" if using larger logs for if anything else esthetic purposes. I'm not an engineer, but I think others here would agree and I'm not giving out any LHBA secrets.

Log Home Dan, Block is not strong enough to support these structures, especially those larger logs we'd like to build with. I've seen many "kit" homes on blocks and other "large log" structures on block and to be honest most of them had foundation problems.
    Thank you Tom - I almost bit as price was good. He was doing a stick frame build but I suspected the weight of these buggers would mean serious concrete below.
    Oh well ......

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    Thanks Tom. I believe after I attend the class many of these questions will not be so, pardon the pun, questionable! I was wondering too about basement wall width. Not firm presently on the plans but we would like to have basement completely below grade. I've spent hours searching icf's. Some very impressive designs.

Is it even possible to DIY the concrete if you are using ICF's?? I mean of course without having half the population of a small city and a mixer large enough to sleep in?

I'd shy away from mixing crete. I've done 5 YDS. Never again.

Oh hell no. I think i calculated a (relatively) small pour for someone's footing and it came out to something like 1000 80# bags of conrete. You'd be mixing forever and it probably wouldn't be cost or time effective. We poured my basement in 4 hours. It took 4 1/2 trucks, which is around 32 yards.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 10-17-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Same 32 yards, with a pumper truck
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350497966.019150.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHBA Member
    Is there a limit on how far they can pump crete??? I mean as for distance. I'm not sure how close we could get a truck to our potential building site.

Some companies have bigger trucks than others. Call and ask. My guy could go about 45' laterally. He actually had a telescoping concrete 'conveyor belt' that fed a hooper with a big sausage tube on it. Crete guy stood on the hill with a remote control unit moving the arm and the concrete flow. We just gave him hand signals. It was beautiful.

LHBA Member
    There was 280 feet of hose including at least 70' in height when they pumped ours up to the ridge from the clearing below. Beautiful, as you say. Get someone who knows what they're doing though. If the hose blows it can be quite a mess!

LHBA Member
    Thanks for the input. I think I should be able to build a road close enough to get a truck in there.

lots of info on the www.arxx.com site......