Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sept 1&2 class?

Sept 1&2 class?

Howdy folks, so I'm on the verge of signing up for the September 1-2 2012 class if it's still on. I've got a couple of questions though...firstly, anybody else heading to Vegas for this class? Secondly, if you're attending, do you have a spouse/significant other coming with you but not attending the class? My wife is coming to Vegas with me but feels she'd be left behind in terms of language comprehension (she's fresh from china) if she goes to the class. I'm hoping someone else is in the same position and maybe we can introduce the ladies so they can keep each other company while we're in class. It might take me a few days to reply to any responses I get...if any, hahaha. I'll be traveling from china back to the USA for the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

I am signed up for the September class, but will be coming alone so not much help there. After reading much of the information on this site, I could hardly sign up quick enough! Looking forward to the class!

Chuck

welcome you two!
    Chuck, we were the same way!! found this site in April 2009 and signed up immediately for the next class (May 2009) have fun reading the public forums here. there's a lot of good info to be found. glad you found us!!

I'm in the same boat! I was on board right away but my wife took a little convincing. Haha She's 100% behind the project now though.

How did you convince your wife? Mine thinks I am crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    You are. We all are.

Ha, my wife convinced me and we are both crazy now

for us there were 2 key parts.
    1) that we CAN DO IT ourselves (with the info provided in class and the support of the members side)
    2) that after all the hard work it would take to get it done, we'd own it free and clear. the only way we're going to be able to retire is if we have no mortgage to pay off. that's a huge motivator for us.

maybe you could give your sceptical spouse links to a few build blogs? she could then see that we are indeed ordinary people doing extraordinary things. you can too

welcome aboard!
    Last edited by panderson03; 07-26-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    Ha, my wife convinced me and we are both crazy now
    This particular madness seems to be communicable...at least after explaining cost benefits and looking at the student homes pics. Haha

I am coming to the Sept 1/2 class. I'm bringing my mother with me to class. We will probably force my wife and my father to come to a class maybe in 2013 (my wife cannot get weekends off, so it's tough).

I have had a hand in a few milled log buildings very similar to the LHBA style (but none of them chinked, even after 20 years). But, my wife and I have a metric ton of timbered land, so the idea of avoiding milled logs is great from a cost, transportation cost, and aesthetic standpoint. We bought the land without involving a bank, and that's precisely what we intend to do here too, if at all possible. Fully expecting to look for el-cheapo trailer or something as soon as we can get the utilities in (well, septic and solar--we've set aside the money to do the first two, and should have electric done by this fall) just to stop paying rent.

Dan