Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Cabin Being Dismantled; Thank You Insurance Company

Old Cabin Being Dismantled; Thank You Insurance Company

I actually cried when I read this article this morning. I don't know this man, nor have I ever seen this old cabin in the woods not far from here. But the reason it is being torn down nearly makes me sick to my stomach. Because this relic is shifting a bit from its foundation, he no longer wants to cover it with insurance. So the insurance company says, sure, fine; now either fix it or remove it from your property.

This cabin was built by hand 111 years ago, from old growth cedar from the land. The siding is hand hewn cedar planks, the interior clear knot-free cedar. He did contact the local historical society, but they don't have the money, manpower, or expertise to dismantle and move it, nor even a place to put it if they did. So instead, the man is slowly taking it apart, piece by piece, from the inside out. He will preserve as much of it as he can, maybe even sell some of the wood. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. He is 94 years old.

I hate insurance underwriters. Ugh.

Louanne

LHBA Member
    Wonder if the fellow had any type of consultation for foundation upgrades. Jack the cabin up and add a foundation, these types of projects are fairly common. Got to agree about the insurance companies, to bad he did not drop them and seek another firm. It worked for me been through three in less than a year it can be a real PITA.

Since when did Insurance companies have jurisdiction or authority over private property? They assume too much! People need to learn the law.

At 94, it's too bad he didn't have someone to go to bat for him before he got to this point, like others have said above. New insurance company. A lawyer probably could have worked something out.

The only sliver lining is the wood is all still stable and dry. People will come from all over to purchase it, and either put it in a new building, closets, furniture, , cabinets, something. It will be in a different form, but the wood is too good to go to waste and will live on in different projects. Any time you can get your hands on 100+ year old wood, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Peach1956 View Post
    Since when did Insurance companies have jurisdiction or authority over private property? They assume too much! People need to learn the law.
    They don't have jurisdiction over private property but they can decide whether or not to insure a property based on perceived risk. If you want to insure your home, you have to dance their dance.

Blog Entries
    Peach1959,

> Since when did Insurance companies have jurisdiction or authority over private property? They assume too much! People need to learn the law.

Insurance companies have huge pockets and intimate relationships with politicians. There is mandatory insurance everywhere for almost everything we do. Know what I mean?

--------

JohnW,

> The only sliver lining is the wood is all still stable and dry. People will come from all over to purchase it, and either put it in a new building, closets, furniture, cabinets, something. It will be in a different form, but the wood is too good to go to waste and will live on in different projects. Any time you can get your hands on 100+ year old wood, it's awesome.

What will be left of the wood if it's pinned with rebar?

-------

Spiralsands,

> They don't have jurisdiction over private property but they can decide whether or not to insure a property based on perceived risk. If you want to insure your home, you have to dance their dance.

Or we can post a bond instead. But how many of us can afford that?
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

Maybe if you owned your house?

Ed-
    In the article, it says, '"The siding is made from 12-foot hand-hewn planks. Inside, it's clear-grain cedar panels. Not a knot anywhere." I think there's lots of reclaimable lumber. There were photos of what looked like stacks of lumber from what he tore down already from the inside. There are probably beams inside too.

Blog Entries
    John,

Cool. Didn't read the article.

-----

spiralsands,

I hear ya. That is my plan also. If one has enough land, it's not unreasonable to be "self insured." Cutting enough clear fire space and overbuilding the house seems to be some of the best insurance we could buy.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    My second floor tng is 100 plus yo Doug fir reclaimed from a silo near Bozeman, Mt. All 1200 sqft is clear of knots, and the only defects are the occasional bolt hole from the original installation.

The wood in that cabin will sell very well since you can't buy new materials with that kind of quality or character anymore.

Patrick