Kennit

Mid season update

Rate this Entry
Over the winter I spent my time planning what I wanted to accomplish this year. It takes a lot of pre-planning to make the most efficient use of time since our place is so far from anywhere to get supplies (aka - stuff I forgot). A trip to the little hardware store takes about an hour, if I have to go into Spokane then I'm wasting about half a day.

Last year we got poles set for a 24 x 36 pole building and my goal this year is to get it roofed and get one 12 x 24 section walled in so we can use it to stay in until the cabin is done.

I also bought a sawmill this spring (Woodland Mills), it didn't take much to convince my wife that it would save us money in the long run. We set it up at a friends place first so we could do all the assembly with tools and hardware stores close by. We also ran a few logs through it to make sure I got the hang of it and found out everything I would need to use it over at the property.

So here is the list of things I want to accomplish this year -
Pour footings for sawmill shed
Pour slab for sawmill
Build a 10x20 sawmill shed
Grade dirt surrounding mill shed
Pour concrete posts and install gates (we got broke into last summer)
Pour slab for outhouse
Build outhouse
Pour footings and slab for pole building
Roof pole building
Wall in pole building

My wife and friends say I have some pretty lofty goals this year since the property is 5 1/2 hours away, but so far I have got all the way to completing the slab for the outhouse (well I've got a few more things to finish up on the shed, but its mostly done).

This week the whole family should have been over there getting a few things done but mostly enjoying ourselves and celebrating the start of summer vacation for the kids, but my body had other plans. I am stuck at home recuperating after surgery to remove a kidney stone that wouldn't pass. I've had better weeks. And to add insult to injury, I managed to screw up my shoulder while I was on pain meds and laying on the couch (yes, I said I injured my shoulder while laying on the couch... that takes a special kind of talent).

As of right now, I don't know how soon I'm going to get back over there or how much work I'll be able to do when I get there. Hopefully I'll heal up fairly soon and be back at it with a renewed gusto!

New pics posted on PB
http://s1189.photobucket.com/albums/z424/kennit828/

Submit "Mid season update" to Facebook Submit "Mid season update" to Twitter Submit "Mid season update" to del.icio.us Submit "Mid season update" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mid season update" to Digg Submit "Mid season update" to Google

Updated 06-20-2013 at 01:29 AM by Kennit

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments