Nothing Worthwhile is Easy

We start here...

Rate this Entry
This may be the biggest project we will ever tackle together. We aren't builders. We don't know any builders. Most of our friends and family don't believe we can do it. If they took the class they might think differently. The class was packed with valuable info and the members forum is priceless!

Just 5 months ago, we had no thought of moving from our current home. Big Business behind us is buying up the houses on our street at "fair market" prices. Not ripping us off/ no huge bonus either. We basically walk away with every dollar we put into it (except property taxes) since we bought it in 2011. We love our house and the 7 acres of woods and trails behind us, but staying for the long haul isn't going to be what we thought it was going to be.

We found LHBA by accident and we are so lucky we did or we might have been seriously considering an over-priced D-style log home right now. The thought of building our very own home captivated us. The reasons to build a "skip-style" log home seem countless. We took the March 2013 class and now we are hooked.. bitten.. we have the fever that everyone here speaks of. We are doing this for us first, and people who think we can't are just fueling us to push harder.

We've purchased the package of building plans from LHBA and we've started our search for tools and supplies. We have shifted gears from wanting to break ground right away to taking our time and enjoying the journey. It will give us more time to save money, collect our supplies and find our perfect lot to build on. Thank you to everyone here for helping to guide us and answer our many questions!

Submit "We start here..." to Facebook Submit "We start here..." to Twitter Submit "We start here..." to del.icio.us Submit "We start here..." to StumbleUpon Submit "We start here..." to Digg Submit "We start here..." to Google

Updated 07-30-2013 at 11:10 AM by Kara

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

We had a lot the same reactions from family and friends, with one more thrown in, "Don't you think you are a little old to do this?" But once we got started, slowly but surely most have come around and all have pitched in to provide assistance, tools, equipment, etc. I hope you will have the same reactions.

Happy Trails
    Don't let anyone dissuade you-we got the same reactions from everyone. Some said it was simply out of reach for folks like us (meaning them- inferring us also). update- we have been living in our 3 story 4000 sq ft for several years now. The only thing that is odd...is all the people that want a tour. Yup. We don't live on any main drag but the word gets around and folks are interested in "the big log house" and are shocked when we tell them my wife and I built it. Most support came from fellow log home builders that went to the class and had completed their house. It is warm and everything they said it would be. You CAN do it. Building experience? - I built a small ... lop sided chicken coop and one dog house...a few model airplanes. Ahhh nope-= no building experience needed. Your labor and perseverance...and a bazillion logs. [IMG]Log Home (2).png[/IMG] the picture may not work- not too sure how to post em yet.
    Topduffer: We finally noticed a change in reaction once our folks found out that we put an offer on land on Saturday. They were anxious to walk the property with us and give opinions on where to build on the property. It was such a refreshing change in attitude! I guess they realized that we are doing this with or without them and they want to be there for us after all . I love our family!!! We are still waiting to see if our offer is accepted. Would love to see any pictures of what you've done!

Windwalker: You are a perfect example of our faith in this project! Congratulations to you for your hard work and seeing it through! The picture did not work, but I'd love to see one sometime. Thank you for your encouragement.. We are pushing forward on it and like I mentioned, have an offer on land as of Saturday. Very exciting! I would be interested to hear how many building seasons your home took and where you are located etc. Thanks again!
    Updated 08-06-2013 at 04:31 AM by Kara