Scout637

Does a log home have to be a big box?

Rate this Entry
So many log homes look like a giant box with a roof. Is this because of simplicity to build or building code restrictions?

Submit "Does a log home have to be a big box?" to Facebook Submit "Does a log home have to be a big box?" to Twitter Submit "Does a log home have to be a big box?" to del.icio.us Submit "Does a log home have to be a big box?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Does a log home have to be a big box?" to Digg Submit "Does a log home have to be a big box?" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Simplicity to build as well as the maximum square footage for the money. A square log shell with board and batten gables is the quickest and cheapest to build. But plenty of us have built in other ways, taking more time and doing it in our own eccentric ways...
    timberwolf is not building square
    i dont think basil did either

to many benifts in building square....e.a.s.i.e.r for starters
    the plans are square too
    Scout (Tom Horn)

You don't have to go square, but you get much more square footage from square.
    You can always have an add on room.
    you can branch out on the second, third, etc homes.
    walk then run.
    That being said, I might be doing an "L" shaped, but STILL, an add on would be easier. time will tell.
    Jd
    Scout--

Square log homes are much easier to build with natural logs, because it's more likely that your log tapers/sizes will "match" in the corners if the logs are all the same length.

It's much harder to find, for example, logs that mostly have 18" butts and 12" tops when half of them are 30 feet long and the other half are 45 feet long.

So, multiple equal squares connected in some way are at least more likely to have the corners line up than rectangles and mis-matched sizes of wings, etc.

I think that how you design roofs, decks, entryways, and other details can make a square box much more attractive. Lots of visitors are a little surprised that our house is square.

Happy planning! Sara
    Updated 05-08-2012 at 07:51 AM by JeffandSara (Misspelling)