The Peterson families journey to building a log cabin!

Site picked, logs picked!

Rate this Entry
Well, we have finally decided on a site to build our starter cabin. We already have the driveway in, so that helps. The starter cabin will just possibly be 12 by 16. We have the trees marked as well, which are actually decent size, bigger than we expected. This is why the starter cabin has gone up a bit in size. We won't know the actual size until after the trees are cut. For the starter we are just using the cedar trees on our property. For the actual house, we will be purchasing most likely white pine. Seeing as we live in Iowa, there isn't an abundant supply of trees. White pine would be easiest for us to access. Hopefully by end of the month, the site will be cleared!

Submit "Site picked, logs picked!" to Facebook Submit "Site picked, logs picked!" to Twitter Submit "Site picked, logs picked!" to del.icio.us Submit "Site picked, logs picked!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Site picked, logs picked!" to Digg Submit "Site picked, logs picked!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

That cabin will smell mighty good.
    Are you going to leave the bark on or will you peel them?
    I've heard that its best to peel them the day you cut them down. -- no experience, but I read it on the woodweb forum, I think.
    Are the butt sizes pretty good?
    were they a plantation growth or just wild, overgrown pasture trees, like we have out here in the Loess hills?

JD
    It will smell good! Lol see if we can take it. They are trees just from the acreage we purchased, so wild grown. They are all around 10 to 12 inches in diameter. We will peel them as soon as we cut them down. Figure this is the cheapest and easiest way to get a method down before starting a house. And we need to clear them anyway for where the foundation will be going. Hopefully get our foundation done here pretty quickly for the shed, and as soon as snow melts, cut the trees we marked and get to peeling!
    HI there Petersons! how is the cabin coming?? did you get your foundation in?