jrdavis

Anyone Use ELM? for the sawmill

Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average.
I was able to pick up nine, 10 foot sections of ELM trees this weekend.

I am wanting to make 4x8 or 4X10's or even board/batten lumber with my new sawmill that I purchased.

Has anyone used ELM before? Will it withstand the stresses of a porch roof or joists, etc?
Some of the sections are 36 inches around. 3 sections are 20-30 inches, 4 are 12-20 inches in diameter.

I purchased the Harbor Freight Mill on sale with 20% off coupon, delivered to my door for $1800.
http://www.harborfreight.com/saw-mil...ine-67138.html and it has the 9 HP engine not the 7HP.
I'm just about finished putting it together and just itching to make some cuts.
My son cut down a walnut tree and so I will practice with the ELM and then make good careful cuts with the WALNUT.

James.
oh yeah... pictures forthcoming.......

Submit "Anyone Use ELM? for the sawmill" to Facebook Submit "Anyone Use ELM? for the sawmill" to Twitter Submit "Anyone Use ELM? for the sawmill" to del.icio.us Submit "Anyone Use ELM? for the sawmill" to StumbleUpon Submit "Anyone Use ELM? for the sawmill" to Digg Submit "Anyone Use ELM? for the sawmill" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I want one of those mills!! I have been looking at them for some time now. Let us know how it works out for you.
    Tom
    I will do that.
    LogHouseNut has got the exact one and has already been cutting with his, so we are going to compare notes in a few weeks and see what "imporovements" need to be made.

James
    I have just cut some 4 ft sections of 1/4" angle iron to extend my rails to 14ft. Now if the weather would cooperate.

I was talking to a guy who will probably be cutting some 30 ft pines for me and in doing so I mentioned my sawmill and asked what he does with the trees that he cuts down in the area......
    He says " well I have no trouble getting rid of it, usually I'll just chip it up and people want the free mulch......" sigh.
    So I says maybe I could pay him for a couple of truck loads of 6-14 ft sections of trees.
    He then responds with well my wifes been after me to make a big picnic table out of some of the trees, but it just takes too long on my alaska mill. Do you think we could work a deal on trade, logs for lumber..... Hummm, THAT sounds like a good deal.
    and I'm off to another adventure.

yeah.