Nick

Log Peeling continued

Rate this Entry
11MAY17

I always believed everyone when they said to take your estimated times and double or triple them, but that advice is really hitting home now. We had hoped to get logs peeled before Summer and at least pour the foundation for the garage and lay a few logs. At this point, barring some unforseen miracle, that's just not going to happen. Log peeling is taking longer than I had hoped, the telehandler needed to go into the shop twice, and my sales commissions for this year have been lower than anticipated. Essentially it puts being able to pay for a foundation this summer out of the question. So our new goal is to get the logs peeled and treated and up higher off the ground like some forum members suggested. So here's our current progress:

Learned that putting all the logs in a single stack in the center of the property was a bad idea. I now built multiple log racks around the perimeter (like I saw Ronnie do on his current house) and am moving the finished logs to the individual racks. We also built the racks up at least two average log heights high to keep off the rain splatter.

The logs have actually started to peel much easier this last week. Not sure why, I thought it was supposed to be easiest after they were first cut. It's actually the best news so far as draw-knifing every log was painful and left a ton of cambium on the log. This past weekend, the sharp spuds were actually working and we we're able to double our productivity. Even got the mother-in-law and father-in-law out there peeling!

I know my wife is going to be much happier without the draw knife...

People are going to avoid coming to visit pretty soon. I keep telling them to just meet me up at the land....

As usual, it's Wisconsin so lure them with brats!

20 peeled, 51 to go. Going to be a long Spring!

Submit "Log Peeling continued" to Facebook Submit "Log Peeling continued" to Twitter Submit "Log Peeling continued" to del.icio.us Submit "Log Peeling continued" to StumbleUpon Submit "Log Peeling continued" to Digg Submit "Log Peeling continued" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

we didn't have to because our logs peeled pretty easy, but I have heard others say soak em down good when you are starting to peel it. That it is easier to peel a wet log.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme
    we didn't have to because our logs peeled pretty easy, but I have heard others say soak em down good when you are starting to peel it. That it is easier to peel a wet log.
    Would love to have that option, but unfortunately we don't have water yet. Logs are getting much easier to peel by the week though. Thanks for the tip regardless. Maybe I'll be able to try that after the garage is done and we start on the house. By that time I'll have a well put in.