Nick

Getting ready for Spring

Rate this Entry
07FEB17:

Been a while it seems since last activity, but winter in WI isn't real conducive to getting outdoor work done. Time to shit or get of the pot now as they say. So here's our recent activity and timeline:

Logger called last week and hopes to have the logs delivered this coming month. Real helpful guy. He was able to answer my questions about the log yard set-up also. I need to get at least 3 sacrificial trees cut down and dragged into place to put the logs on (I'm getting 40ea. 40' Red Pines + 1ea. 50' for ridge pole). He said to set the logs up parallel to the truck for ease of unloading. Now for the fun part. We went up to the land last week and still had snow over the knees. I'm going to need two days to dig out the 10' pile of snow the plow has left in the drive. Then gotta figure out how to move the snow out of the way to make a road and log yard. THEN gotta figure out which trees to cut down and how in the heck I'm going to drag them into place prior to the trees arriving (Note to self - should have done that before winter...). My Tele is down right now as it needs maintenance before I start it up again. Gotta figure out how to drain the fuel filter and remove the water, etc... Also have to repair the front seals on the forks plus drain and replace all of the hydro oil. Don't know if I'm going to be able to get that done in time to be able to use the machine to drag my sacrificial trees around. So now I'm trying to figure out how to move large trees in 2' of snow without it just in case. Wish I had taken a picture of my wife and I trying to struggle through the deep snow but I was too out of breath to try and dig for my phone. I'll get up there on Saturday and hopefully post some pictures.

On the positive side, we did find a local building supply company that is happy to work with our LHBA plans to make the modifications we want on our garage. Over the last few months it has now grown into a full 35'x 35' garage with a storage space up top (that can be converted at a later date). As long as we agree to buy at least some supplies from them in the future, NO CHARGE for the plan revisions and licensed Wisconsin stamp - good deal. They have our plans now and are working on the revisions. Next step will to be to file for the building permit and look at getting electric/water to the site. That might have to wait until next year depending on finances and how much the foundation is going to cost. We can work off of a generator if we have to.

LHBA class is coming up in a week and a half so I'm excited to get back there and exhaust them with more questions. My two buddies going with me are super pumped. Got airline tickets and hotel reservations so it's all down hill from here.

Submit "Getting ready for Spring" to Facebook Submit "Getting ready for Spring" to Twitter Submit "Getting ready for Spring" to del.icio.us Submit "Getting ready for Spring" to StumbleUpon Submit "Getting ready for Spring" to Digg Submit "Getting ready for Spring" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow! That is genius with the building supply company. Great work. Wish I thought of that. How did you go about asking this building supply company to modify your plans?

Keep it up glad to see you progressing!
    Quote Originally Posted by twh4
    Wow! That is genius with the building supply company. Great work. Wish I thought of that. How did you go about asking this building supply company to modify your plans?

Keep it up glad to see you progressing!
    Wish I could take credit for thinking of it, but it kind of just landed in my lap. I have a good friend who works there as a manager and I called him up for recommendations on someone who might be able to help me with the plans. I didn't even know they had a division that handled them themselves. The irony is I would have bought supplies from him anyway. He's been headhunted away from other major building suppliers and said it was a fairly common practice but most of them will want some sort of agreement or else a refundable deposit. Since he knows me, I don't have to worry about that.