gen2600

Made it to Alaska, now awaiting the next step...

Rate this Entry
I finally made it to Alaska.

Here is my old LHBA blog: http://www.loghomebuilders.org/blogs/gen2600

I'm currently in Homer, Alaska at my girlfriends place, waiting on the snow to break up so I can begin the real work. I've got a buddy that is going to run a dozer down my road and scrape off the cabin site after things break up in Fairbanks.

Once that's done, I'm going to purchase everything I need to make my piers and buy a water tank and get to work!

I'm keeping some of my pictures here: http://www.infohammer.net/gallery/ma...itemId=1007156

I'll be building first on "House 1":

Here is my friends and family that have been helping on the build site in prep (and building the road with me):

That's my brother (Cody) and his girlfriend Casey, my lady Vikki, myself and my buddy Ed this past August when we finished the roads and the clearings.

Submit "Made it to Alaska, now awaiting the next step..." to Facebook Submit "Made it to Alaska, now awaiting the next step..." to Twitter Submit "Made it to Alaska, now awaiting the next step..." to del.icio.us Submit "Made it to Alaska, now awaiting the next step..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Made it to Alaska, now awaiting the next step..." to Digg Submit "Made it to Alaska, now awaiting the next step..." to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Myself(don't know your name)
    Great to see you guys made it. I took Skip's course in '84 and moved up from Salem, OR area to the Kenai Peninsula in '90. Started to build a log house several times but never quite made it.
    Trying to re-establish my membership after loosing my card years back. We are planning a small Trapper style cabin (12'x16') along the Sterling at MP 142.2, to put up for sale- to be moved after it's bought. A spec cabin if you will. Our family has about 1/3 of the logs peeled now. Ours will be on skids to be able to move it.
    We live just south of Ninilchik 6 miles on the Sterling Hwy. My oldest son makes 10 sided greenhouses- you'll see them all over the peninsula(several in Homer).
    Love to come down and see your progress sometime this summer. You should have no problem finding white spruce logs- they are everywhere, a lot of them beetle killed & standing tinder dry.
    I had 40 pages of notes after Skip's course- I'd love to see any changes they've made over the years. Maybe sit down over lunch someday in Homer and chew the cud with you over building techniques. It's tons of work putting up log homes- but a labor of love.
    Best wishes for you guys- hope you have a great summer-
    James & Betsey Knox (corax50@gmail.com)
    Myself(don't know your name)
    Great to see you guys made it. I took Skip's course in '84 and moved up from Salem, OR area to the Kenai Peninsula in '90. Started to build a log house several times but never quite made it.
    Trying to re-establish my membership after loosing my card years back. We are planning a small Trapper style cabin (12'x16') along the Sterling at MP 142.2, to put up for sale- to be moved after it's bought. A spec cabin if you will. Our family has about 1/3 of the logs peeled now. Ours will be on skids to be able to move it.
    We live just south of Ninilchik 6 miles on the Sterling Hwy. My oldest son makes 10 sided greenhouses- you'll see them all over the peninsula(several in Homer).
    Love to come down and see your progress sometime this summer. You should have no problem finding white spruce logs- they are everywhere, a lot of them beetle killed & standing tinder dry.
    I had 40 pages of notes after Skip's course- I'd love to see any changes they've made over the years. Maybe sit down over lunch someday in Homer and chew the cud with you over building techniques. It's tons of work putting up log homes- but a labor of love.
    Best wishes for you guys- hope you have a great summer-
    James & Betsey Knox (corax50@gmail.com)
    PS- Know any other members up here?
    Come on down and visit! I haven't been able to find a member up here
    Homer eh? I have some friends that live in the Soldotna area... and I'm planning a permanent move to AK. Like you I'm going to have to ship tools and equipment. Been living in Texas for the last 24 year and ready to say "So Long - Adios". Sure would like to see some updates on your progress... I may be in TX but I'm still in your corner. Have fun, work hard and keep safe.
    Steve