Yogip

Class of Las Vegas 2015

Rate this Entry
Since we did not have a lot of time for personal introductions through out the class, does anyone want to stay in touch and post about their success stories as well as develop a friends list.

My Name is Jorgen Ponsioen, but I go by Yogi. I live in Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. I am pretty excited about the things I learned and already went scouting for tress in my area where I will be building. I also went to the local saw mill to price out logs. Not cheap ($7 CAD/FT) but the are on the lot, limbed and can be delivered to site. I still look at a 30' or 40' tree and wonder how I will move 1 to the building site, even though the are relatively close to site.

Need to move an existing structure prior to starting my foundation next spring, and think a loader may come in handy for that.

Submit "Class of Las Vegas 2015" to Facebook Submit "Class of Las Vegas 2015" to Twitter Submit "Class of Las Vegas 2015" to del.icio.us Submit "Class of Las Vegas 2015" to StumbleUpon Submit "Class of Las Vegas 2015" to Digg Submit "Class of Las Vegas 2015" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I'm Jim. I got to meet and talk to you at class about being a firefighter up north. Mary (mpeterson1020) and I are from North Central Potter County, Pennsylvania. We have land and are currently in the planning stages. We hope to break ground next spring. Look forward to staying in touch. Have a good day.
    Yes Jim I remember discussing the "Prusik", great to meet you and like yourself, Teresa and I are now also in the planning stages with hopes of starting in the spring :-)
    Yogi
    Hi!

I am Nicolas, from Manitoba, Canada (but we originally are from France, Bordeaux), as was also at the Session of September in Las Vegas!
    I'm planning to build the stock plan 30x30 FT around Winnipeg.
    Currently scouting for land and trees + material. still working on my big shopping list and items to buy for the house.

Did anyone live nearby ?
    Updated 09-21-2015 at 10:18 AM by Nicolas
    Sorry, not close, but welcome. Lot of planning to do, we are hoping to start in the spring of 2016.
    Exactly the same, if we find land and get all approval (we checked today, plan need to be stamped by an engineer here) we want to be ready to start around April 2016. Hopefully we will be able to harvest wood this winter too.

Also for information, as I've talked about this topic with several person, they ask in Manitoba for isolation R50 for roof, R25 for wall minimum. is a lot but not that crazy/better than we imagine first with winter generally around -40C. Now if we take this into account log diameters of 12 will be a light light, so maybe we can over isolate other part of the house, or move to 14 log.
    I will keep you update on that, will need to discuss this point with engineer anyway to get the build permit. It may interest other members that will plan to build with the same kind of climate.
    Nicolas, I am considering using spray foam in the roof to attain the R-50 requirement.
    The same, also will be easier (but more expensive) to install
    And I should see next week the code department to check how deep I need to made the foundation, as from my research the frost line is bellow 2m deep in the ground during winter, so I wonder if I really need to make foundation that deep..seems to be a lot!
    Hello I'm Tracy, I was the loudmouth that kept asking questions in class, I wanted to make sure I understood everything before class was over, I have my land already and I have a plan, 1st is to buy a 40ft conex, 2nd is to buy a personal sawmill and the start milling after I have all my lumber milled for the roof, then and only then will I do my foundation and start harvesting logs from my land. I don't think I got to meet you guys but I do remember seeing you for sure.
    Hi Tracy, yes I remember you! you have great plan, mill everything yourself is inpressive. Where do you plan to build?
    I bought my land in North East Texas close to a little town called Montalba, it is very beautiful there and I just can't wait to get started, but ya got do 1st things 1st so it will be early next year before I start milling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracyblott
    Hello I'm Tracy, I was the loudmouth that kept asking questions in class, I wanted to make sure I understood everything before class was over, I have my land already and I have a plan, 1st is to buy a 40ft conex, 2nd is to buy a personal sawmill and the start milling after I have all my lumber milled for the roof, then and only then will I do my foundation and start harvesting logs from my land. I don't think I got to meet you guys but I do remember seeing you for sure.
    Tracey, sounds like you have the same vision as us, we have a Logosol Chainsaw saw mill on site and build some log skidders to help move the large logs. Good Luck on your build.
    I was at the Vegas Sep seminar too. Is there anyone around Utah, we bought an acre near Rockport dam, and would really like to see, help others to gain experience. Justin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas
    Hi!

I am Nicolas, from Manitoba, Canada (but we originally are from France, Bordeaux), as was also at the Session of September in Las Vegas!
    I'm planning to build the stock plan 30x30 FT around Winnipeg.
    Currently scouting for land and trees + material. still working on my big shopping list and items to buy for the house.

Did anyone live nearby ?
    Hi Nicolas, My name is Steve...I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I have just learned of this style of log home building in the past week. I've been doing lots of reading. We own land already and I have nearly 50 red pine logs already down and peeled. We had been planning to hire a builder to build a Piece en Piece style log home for us, but decided against it because it would be too expensive... I am thinking about signing up my wife and I for the next course, but would love to hear what others think of it. Would you be willing to share some of your thoughts? It's a pretty big investment to pay for the course and the travel etc...is it worth it? Two days doesn't seem like much time to be able to learn all that is needed to build a house. Thanks in advance.
    Definitely take the class. Class is cheap compared to knowledge gained. Best money I've ever spent. And definitely go with your sweetie. Helps when both are on the same page.
    Two days doesn't seem like much time to be able to learn all that is needed to build a house.
    It is a couple of 12 hour days, and while all the material is covered, questions will surely come up later. So there is the members' side of the forum, where you can ask anything, and nearly every time, someone has your answer.

Peter