Blog Comments

What a beautiful environment to be building in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf
    Mossey,

I was looking through your photobucket. My hat's off to you, for the incredible amount of hard work you guys are putting in to your cabin. This from a self proclaimed work-aholic.

Unbelievable. Your logs are huge too. You will have a beautiful home to be proud of when you are finished. Glad to see you enjoying the journey.
    Timberwolf"
    We are doing our own logging because we have seen the after of professional loggers. We really can't afford the mule loggers and I don't know that they would do this anyway. We certainly take down some trees that we wish we could have avoided hitting but that is the nature of the game. We would have never cut these beautiful trees if the beetles weren't killing them. We have been on a race with the bugs to get them before they are useless. Once down they last pretty good but standing dead they deteriate very quickly once the top breaks out. We know it is very dangerous work and try to be safe and double safe, but still have had some near misses.
    We have about 25 more of the big ones left to down so we pray for safety, then we can get on with the building. We are heading out there tomorrow for about 10 days. Weather permiting we will get some more of them down and maybe dig a little on the footers.
    Your place is absolutely beautiful. I'm glad we don't have to deal with your temps. Good luck on the run to the finish. Wish we were closer. We hope we can get this dried in before we get to old to move.
    Mossey,

I was looking through your photobucket. My hat's off to you, for the incredible amount of hard work you guys are putting in to your cabin. This from a self proclaimed work-aholic.

Unbelievable. Your logs are huge too. You will have a beautiful home to be proud of when you are finished. Glad to see you enjoying the journey.
    beautiful, Miss Mossey thanks for sharing them with us!!
    Wow, Mosseyme! Gorgeous! Thanks for posting them. Sara
    Well, it is just me out at the mountain this week. Gary had to make a last minute trip so he is in Jackson Hole for a seminar and I am here treating logs and peeling logs. Left the tractor at home, thought I would be less likely to get myself into a pickle. Spent a couple of hours getting a setup in the creek to get water to the log racks so I can mix treatment without carrying buckets from the creek. I am still thinking about scrubbing them down with bleach water before the borates to kill some of the mold, we'll see how far I get with that. Keeping my little 357 dog that barks over here and bites over there handy, being in the middle of nowhere alone. A plane crashed within miles of here last week all 4 killed, now another one is missing in the mountains a little south of here, what is going on.
    A few new pictures that show why it is taking us so long to get through with this logging thing. There are still about 15 more big trees we need to get down along this creek and it is slow going. We can't seem to get more that 2 or sometimes 3 trees down in a day. By the time we do the set up, fell the tree, limb it, remove the brush a 1/4 mile up the mountain to the burn area, buck and pull the logs out, drag them a 1/4 mile to the log racks we have spent a lot of time, and did I mention we are old!! OK shut up LHN, I'm just going to whine every now and then! LOL
    Sara:
    Yes we do get some raspberries and blackberries in the cut over area, however right now it seems like it is Sweet shrub that is coming up everywhere especially under the hardwoods. We do have to watch out for the wild grapevines because they will take over everywhere and start killing the hardwoods. We had 5 or 6 years of near draught conditions before the last 2 years of more normal rain so we had a lot of underbrush die off and then of course the Hemlocks have pretty much been decimated in the last 3 years so the forest is much more open than when we bought it. Therefore we are getting more and more of the flowers and vines at this point. Changes just keep taking place even if we weren't doing this. Tell me about your place.
    Ah, Mosseyme--

That's the beauty of living in a moist climate. : ) Where we are, disturbed areas of flora usually take a long time to recover. Do you ever get berries in the logged areas? In New England, logged areas often end up being the best raspberry brambles.

Enjoy those azaleas, rhodos and laurels! Sounds like you really were fortunate in picking up that land.
    Sara
    Thanks Sara:
    Yes right now the early ground flowers are putting on a show with bluets, trillium, violets, buttercups, wild iris, ground myrtle and many more everywhere. I just have to close my eyes and move on and not think about what I'm stepping on. It helps to know that wherever we have worked and torn up with the logging before just comes back with more and more flowers and ferns. The azaleas are just starting and the rhododendron and mountain laurel will be next. All quiet beautiful. We feel very blessed that some people didn't want to keep paying taxes on the mountain land that grandpa left to them.
    Wow, Mosseyme--
    Gorgeous property. Love your cabin site, and envy you the dogwood and bluets.
    Looks like heavy work. Be careful out there.
    Best-- Sara : )
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYcabinplannin
    I notice a lot less posting too... it is kinda withdrawal...
    Fletch
    ps- I like the game camera idea, too. At least if I have pix of someone stealing my tools I could show the pix to the cops.
    They work great caught the local hunt club on one of mine. The courts gave them a little fine. didnt help I found candybar wrapers this year google game cameras they have some that will call your blackberry and download if you can get a cell signal? big bucks though
    I notice a lot less posting too... it is kinda withdrawal...
    Fletch
    ps- I like the game camera idea, too. At least if I have pix of someone stealing my tools I could show the pix to the cops.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman502
    im not big fan of the new site : (
    me either.. i quit visting here for a long spell
    They do have some new game cameras that you can view from your computer, but they are high dollar (over $400). There are also some out there that are solar powered, using a 6v battery. I know harbor freight has some inexpensive security cameras, but I'm not sure of the logistics with no electricity and internet access.... Good luck!
    Hey Mossey. I don't have a complete answer for you but we got a GAME CAMERA. a couple hundred bucks and no internet connection but its battery powered (we're looking at how to make it solar powered) Its motion activated, takes an 8gig memory card, can do still photos (singles or 3 in a row) or 30 seconds of video at a shot. when we go up to the lake, we remove the current card and replace it with an empty one. gives us an idea of who's been there and what they were up to.
    not something we can monitor real-time from home though (which would be WONDERFUL.....).
    I have a question for all. I am looking at possibly getting a security camera for putting up in the trees out at the mountain. Is there anything out there that would work on batteries, with minimal internet access by wireless, and no electricity available, and weather proof. Weather cam's maybe? Anyone have expertise or experience in this area.
    it does seem like the # of new entries has slowed down - or is it just me??
    I was wondering why nobody was posting...on the old site....forgot about the change.
    I hope it will grow on me but not yet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast