Nick

1. Life happens

Wow, it's been a long two years since my last post. Two years of all kinds of curve-balls and hurdles that life gives no warnings about. Honestly speaking, up until about a month ago, I was on the verge of completely giving up on our hopes of building our own home. For those that were interested, we did finally finish peeling all of our logs before the fall of 2017 and managed to get them all treated with the LHBA formula of preservative. Then spent a good deal of the fall re-building the log ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Log Peeling continued

11MAY17

I always believed everyone when they said to take your estimated times and double or triple them, but that advice is really hitting home now. We had hoped to get logs peeled before Summer and at least pour the foundation for the garage and lay a few logs. At this point, barring some unforseen miracle, that's just not going to happen. Log peeling is taking longer than I had hoped, the telehandler needed to go into the shop twice, and my sales commissions for this year have ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Log "Peeling" - yeah right....

11APR17:

I keep telling myself I'm going to keep this blog current. Then the logs arrived and all my priorities went out the window. I finally started a build thread on the forum for the progress updates and to ask questions, but there's so much more that I don't want to flood the forum with but someone might find useful that I'll try and post it here. I'll try not to redo the stuff on the build thread but it all gets blurry after a while.

So the logs finally arrived ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Learning how to weld

23MAR17:

Learning how to weld has been a top-ten bucket list item for me forever. It climbed even higher on my list once I hit these forums and saw what a lot of the members are doing making tool modifications, items for the home, etc. I'm not lucky enough to have any close friends with that type of aptitude or equipment I could learn from either. So when we finally got close to our build start date, I figured "what the hell, I'll just teach myself". Thought it would ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Got LOGS !!!!

20MAR17

Finally. Our log dilemma has been solved. After calling every source I could track down, I decided it was best to really try hard and convince my local guy (logger/mill a few miles away) to work with us. Every other place I called kept referring me back to his company. All of the locals speak extremely highly of the business and owners, so they have a real solid reputation. He finally agreed to meet with me on Sunday at a local pine stand he was clear-cutting. He wasn't ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast